Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Question about converting v2.0 to SQL

Quote Reply
Question about converting v2.0 to SQL
Hello,

Lets say I start to develop my new site with Links 2.0 and decide ok its now time to go with SQL becuase the site is getting to large. Is it an easy conversion?

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
Re: Question about converting v2.0 to SQL In reply to
It's a very easy conversion. There are two _very_ minor changes you need to make to the add and modify templates, otherwise you can keep your Links 2.0 templates. There is also an import script to import all your existing Links 2.0 links.

Where you may run into troubles is if you've got custom modifications to Links 2.0. Most will require some effort to get to work with Links SQL.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
I dont know if this helps, but I was able to convert from the old 1.1 very easily!

Ask Alex to provide you with Section 3.0 of LinksSql Readme. It tells you the diffs between 2.0 and Sql
Quote Reply
Hello,

If I had to change a Links 2.0 modification to work with Links SQL what type would that take. PERL work? Do I have to be a wiz in PERL or real familiar with SQL?

Just to get an idea. Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
perl..

sql are only queries.. it's *heck* [ Wink] making a change to Links SQL if you don't know perl.. cause of "use strict".. but it's easy to get the hang of..

jerry
Quote Reply
Looks like I better start to learn PERL a hell Smile of alot better than I do now....

Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
Use strict helps in a lot of ways on any sort of large sized program. If you really want to avoid it you can do:

no strict;

# unsafe strict code here.

use strict;

However, that's generally the lazy way out. Wink

Cheers,

Alex