Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Pugdog
Hey,
I was wondering if you can help me.
I found a real nice banner ad program on the net. http://www.phpwizard.net
Its called phpads i wanted to use this with Links Sql. But it requires that i set up some tables. i believe 4 or 5 tables. My webhost using MyAdmin for MySQL. And I can set this program up except I dont know how to setup the tables. Any sugestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Pugdog In reply to
Hi,

I tried that out ... didn't it set up the tables for you?

All you need to do is make the database, and give the program the userid/pw to access it.

Yep... in the INSTALL file:

Code:
[3] Create the database you'll use for phpAdServer (default name:
"phpadserver"). Within this database, create the required tables as
provided in all.sql. You can use the mysql-client for this:
mysql <db-name> < all.sql
or you can use phpMyAdmin <http://phpwizard.net/phpMyAdmin> to read
in the dump.

if you have access to the mysql binary, where you can enter commands, all you need to do is use that line:

/path/to/mysql <db-name> < all.sql

You can use the phpMyAdmin program to do the same thing... either past the all.sql file into the command box for the database (select the database from the left frame) or you can (i believe) import and execute a file.

The all.sql is a command file _similar_ to the sql.mysql file that comes with Links, except that the all.sql is just an SQL command file -- a set of SQL commands that can be executed line by line in the monitor.

If you use phpMyAdmin you select the database, and that makes all the commands default to the selected database. If you use the SQL monitor in the Links Admin, you'd have to edit the all.sql file so that each command was executed on database_name.table_name

Hope that helps!

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
thanks for the help. But I still have a slight problem. My web host server uses my admin for MySQL. So it issues its own data base name and user id. i cant create my own name. I have phpmyadmin installed and that is pretty cool. i actually used it to set up tables on another program. On phpads I know the names of the tables that it requires but in order to set them up i need to know the fields,nul,primary etc. Not sure what to do at this point. I wrote the author of the program and am waiting for a reply.

What do u think of this program (phpads) I also have webadverts running but phpads looked alittle better. I like the fact the it emails reports of the banner use.
What do u think? Which one do think is better?

Thanks in advance, Ken
Quote Reply
I'm still working on my own advertising program, as I've posted here. I need something "more" than what is out there, and I need a real, total solution. I don't think webverts, AdCycle, or PhpAds has it all. If they work for your situation great! They don't for mine Smile

All you need to do is look in the all.sql file, and if the table names don't conflict with any names in your current database, just enter that file into the phpMyAdmin query box for your database. It will create the tables in the current database.

If your host will create a database for you, if that is what you mean, then have him create the default database (I forget off hand what it is) then send him a copy of the all.sql file, and he can just past that into the phpMyAdmin query box and it will create all the tables for you/him.

All the table definitions are there, you don't have to do anything. Just use that file as if it was a block of commands you were going to type in to create the database yourself. That's really what it is.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/