Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Problem Importing Links

Quote Reply
Problem Importing Links
I've been having problems trying to import data into the Links table. I have 31 fields, and when I try to import from a text file with 31 fields, with the "|" delimiter, it tells me that the Row Count does not match Header Count.

This happens whether I try to import using the text box, or by a file. In both cases I include the list of column names on the first line which are also delimited with the "|" delimiter. Any help on where I may be going off track would be much appreciated...
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Importing Links In reply to
Try turning the "required" parameter off in all you fields -- make the '1' a '0'. This is in the DEF file.

That usually helps.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thanks very much for your help. I checked out the threads dealing with importing, and I've tried everything I could, but I still can't get it to import...

It seems funny to me that I can enter some records manually and then export them. Then when I try to reimport the same data from the file, it still tells me that the header count and row count don't match. Oh well, it looks like it will take less time to manually put everything in again than spending so many hours trying to figure out how to do something that was so blissfully simple in Links 2.0.

--FM
Quote Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the "required" parameters to "0" in all fields in Links.def, and still have the same problem (Aborting, too many errors! - and then Row Count doesn't match Header count).

I also went back and removed all of the validations, and still no luck...

I've checked very carefully, that the number of fields in the Links database match the number of fields in the file that I am importing.

Is there something else that I'm missing here?

-FM

Quote Reply
Many of us have hit that problem.

I was able to fix it up by turning the required fields off, and it all imported ok.

You might want to look at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um9/HTML/000073.html

For some other ideas on tracking it down.

------------------

Quote Reply
Why not wait til Alex has a chance to respond, or contact him directly by email.

He was able to make the changes to the Import.pl routine to fix other problems, but in order to do it he needs to see your database.

Maybe he'll be able to kill this bug once and for all.

------------------

Quote Reply
I'll go ahead and do that. More than likely it's probably some simple error that I'm overlooking... Thanks for your help!

-FM
Quote Reply
Hmmm... I still haven't been able to solve this problem with the importing. I was going to go ahead and just manually re-input about 500 records, but then I thought I'd wait to see if Alex or anyone had any fixes for this...It's been awhile but I hope there will be some answer.

I made the "required" function "0" for all of the fields. Then I export out the few that I have manually entered, and try to re-import them, and consistently get the error described previously in this thread.

-FM

Quote Reply
Can you post to me some of the data you are trying to import?

And, maybe the exact error message where it reports the bad field counts?

The other thing you may have to do is go the MySQL database itself, and allow null in every field except for the ID field. The error reporting on Import.pl is sort of cryptic, and you might be trying to insert a record into the database with an empty field where it expects a value in a field that is NOT NULL.

If you don't know how to do that... it's sort of complicated...

------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks very much for all of your input and suggestions. Alex is taking a look at things and we'll see what the results are...