Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Please help - under deadline

Quote Reply
Please help - under deadline
Hey Alex,

I'm having the same exact problem with a new client on a different server. I'm wondering where do I put CGI.pm when I get it. I can't locate the current version of this file anywhere, so it must be somewhere I don't have access to on this server.

I'm having the same exact problem as is posted here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum9/HTML/000421.html

I've checked all filenames, directory names, paths, defs,form tags, made sure Links_Attach file exists, that permissions are correct and everything else I can think of etc... and everything IS as it should be.

AND I too get: Can't use string ("C:\test.jpg") as a symbol ref while "strict refs" in use at admin/Links/DBSQL.pm line 768.

I even went so far as to pull the files of a different server where the upload function does work, and tried it on this server, and the upload doesn't work. So it's got to be the version of CGI.pm. Where would I put this file. Again, I can't locate a current version on the server. It didn't come among the install files.

Also, is there a trick to using it over the server version?

Peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: Please help - under deadline In reply to
Alex,

I just got a hold of my server. They assure me that that they're running the most recent version. Is there anything else that could cause this problem. I removed the use strict and it wrote the proper name of the file but only gave me 0 bytes. Does that help
Quote Reply
Well, I've run the setup.cgi script on two different server. One says:
CGI.pm ... version 2.42 ok!

the other says:
CGI.pm ... version 2.36 ok!

Guess which one doesn't work - 2.36. I guess we need 2.42 to use attachment uploads. Apparently, my server doesn't have the right version. Again, If I can use CGI.pm separately from the server, can some give me some tips on how to use it. Apparently it's not just one file, but a tar.gz file and bunch of instructions that don't make sense for my situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle
Quote Reply
the error does not have to do anything with cgi.pm..

it has to do with strict but it only returns that error cause strict doesn't allow you to use poor coding.. that means your use of code for the scalar with the value 'C:\test.jpg' is probably not defined or used improperly..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Hi

It is an error caused by the old version of CGI.PM. Updating it will solve your problem.

regards, Alexander
Quote Reply
and indeed it has!

I upgraded from 2.36 to 2.56. I hope that won't affect anything else.

So in short, LinksSQL requires at least version 2.42 of CGI.pm.

Peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, was away for a few days. =)

Yes, to use attachments reliably with CGI.pm you should really be using > 2.42. They can work by disabling use strict, but it's not recommended.

Upgrading CGI.pm, is a much better alternative.

Cheers,

Alex