Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Password Protect Da Forum...

Quote Reply
Password Protect Da Forum...
OK,

I have always thought that this forum should be free for everyone... but after reading some threads where people have had to post code, or in some cases an entire file, such as in

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum9/HTML/000497.html

I really think there should be a password protected forum to post code in, so that people can still read about links SQL here, but not nick off with the code....

N. E. one else agree with me here?
Quote Reply
Re: Password Protect Da Forum... In reply to
Well, I don't

1. Nobody has to post his code
2. Discussing Links SQL like an open source project is the best way for L-SQL to develop and get bug-free.

regards, Alexander
Quote Reply
It's really a tough call on this one. I really can see both sides on the issue.

On the one hand, Links, DBMan and FileMan each have the full code available - at no cost, which lends itself to the "Open Source" concept - users are only asked to pay if they remove the copyright details from pages displayed to the web.

The forums on those programs are a great tool then to build functionality and modifications for the basic set of scripts.

Unlike the flat file counterparts, LinksMySQL and DBManMySQL have cost involved with obtaining the scripts at the start - There is no "Open Source" structure when good money has been paid to obtain the scripts and documentation.

When scripts have been purchased up front, the "Open Source" exchange of mods, features, and fixes should be done (IMveryHO)within a password protected, members only (or whatever else it may be called) environment.

As has been pointed out elsewhere in this very forum, obtaining rogue copies of the code are doable - someone mentioned they could have a copy within minutes - that being understood as fact, why openly provide fixes, etc for those who have not obtained the scripts in the proper manner,by compensating Alex for the work he has put into the programming?

I'm not overlooking the fact that many people - extremely talented people (I admire your programming abilities immensly) have "contributed" code, feedback, and help on the original development of LinksMySQL. That is something Alex would (likely already has) work out some form of compensation for.

I'm not one of the "some people" who are obtaining scripts by other means. I pay for the right to use the scripts and with paying, agree that there should be some manner of "Open Sourcing" in a protected environment - to protect my investment, your investment and Alex's investment.

Alex may see a whole lot of people cough up the cost of the scripts if access to modifying the scripts weren't public. When Alex profits - we all profit. Just my $0.225 worth. :-)

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen
Quote Reply
The forums were originally open for two reasons:

1. The user base wasn't large enough to support a forum.

2. I wanted non Links SQL people to get an idea of what's going on.

I think number one isn't an issue any more, as the user base has grown quite a bit. As for number 2, I think it will help more people use the product if they can see what a good community that is being built around it.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
hmm.. i'm pretty sure there are a bunch of people using Links SQL without a license.. it may seem unfair to some people because of the fact that they paid $450.. only alex could tell who the licensed and non licensed are here.. i myself know of someone that does..

some links 2 people come in here to see what's up.. they post questions about upgrading and stuff.. some even post some answers to peoples questions (which is wierd).. before I got Links SQL, I had been in this forum figuring out SQL queries and stuff..

i probably shouldn't have posted the code for the user modify mod on the board as it reveals add.cgi and modify.cgi with just a few lines added to it.. IMHO this is how add.cgi and modify.cgi would be prefered in the regular version (due to the use of the user database).. therefore, i shouldn't have posted it like that..

i just didn't want to do some email distribution thing as it's annoying Smile also.. i almost never have time to go through all my email.. i have about 790 unread messages piled up in my POP3 email client right now and of those i will probably delete 600 thinking 'he/she will get this by herself if he/she looked at it one more time.. by the time i reply he/she has already got it..'

and i've been known to take forever on requests unless i feel the need to reply quickly..

anyways.. about Alex404's #2..

how does Links SQL develop and benefit from users that are not 'allowed' to use it? the forum should be password protected so only the licensed users eyes can see it.. however it'd be sort of stupid..

just think..

if this forum has to be password protected.. the sites created by developers would also have to be password protected with the same passwords.. (this is possible.. just the way it's possible will allow the modder to intercept all the usernames/passwords)

Michael_Bray.. i believe you were the one who argued the last time i thought the forums should be password protected.. is this the result of obtaining Links SQL yourself?

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Widgetz,

I have Links SQL, and think that everyone should be able to hear whats going on in this forum, its just that I think all conversations should be protected when code is shown.

Like have a Links SQL discussion and a Links SQL where code is shown forum which is used when releasing Mods etc...

I think when you said it, you made is sound like even questions posted in there regarding how many links 'links SQL' can hold would he password protected, and I don't think they should be.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Hi,

Do you really think anyone could build a Links SQL Site out of the pieces of code he finds in this forum?

And why should anybody do this? If you really want the code you can get it somewhere.

We are developing custom software for companys. To enshure nobody else uses it we build in a lot of security functions.., copy protections.., registration procedures.. (bullshit!)
About 2 weeks after release I found a cracked version of it in the net an half of our customer's competitors using it.

But that the job of our Lawyer.

What I want to say is that you can't stop people getting unlicensed software but you can stop them using it.

(the percentage of licensed software in china is 5% !)

regards, Alexander
Quote Reply
I know,

But with this you could stop unlicensed people getting access to the mods. I donno Smile

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
FWIW ... I had asked Alex about the program, this very question in fact, awhile back. Like 4 or 5 months.

His reply was that the main element was DBSQL.pm, and as long as that was not posted, the other programs and code snips were fine.

If you think about it, all the user interface programs do is call DBSQL.pm, and he's published the interface on it in the resource center.

So, as long as you don't post DBSQL.pm, you can post code that uses the calls to it. If someone writes a clone of that, they've effectively rewritten the program.

Basically, nothing will work without DBSQL.pm
but everything uses it.

If you make use of it, in your own programs, you will cut the number of lines of code down _significantly_ when working with databases. It makes add-in programs very easy....

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/