Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Oh Boy, do I need some help!

Quote Reply
Oh Boy, do I need some help!
Hi:

Sorry to be such a dork sometimes.... but I am a bit lost! Hopefully someone can just get me going!

I have about 25 fields in my 2.0 DB. I want to make sure I have this straight- if I put all my old .db and .def files, Import.pl is supposed to translate all the onld field to the new database- right? Do I have this concept right... or do I need to do something else (like ADD the new fields first).

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Oh Boy, do I need some help! In reply to
Hello!

Import.pl will certainly not translate all the fields by itself. You need to tell Import.pl, what and how it should translate.

Give instructions in the Create Table area what names and kind of field configurations it should create. Thats very easy.

In the import.pl there are some bugs and I have had many problems. They are the names of the def/db files capitals. You may find this messages from myself before few months and Pugdog before few weeks. I do not remember anymore.

I am till today not convinced why Alex has this Import.pl at all. Because to use editor.cgi is a confort that you will not have in the Import.pl! Once your tables are correctly configured, editor.cgi will also work. Ofcourse, Editor.cgi does not have and special routine for Alt_Cat. If its there, it would be wonderful. Then all the Links v2.0 could fully use editor.cgi!!!
Quote Reply
Hi,

The best thing to do is to let alex convert your database for you. You get one free conversion.

Right now it's a matter of editing the SQL.mysql file, and putting all the fields into the Links and Validate tables. They will be created and populated for you.

The def directory files are created for you when the tables are created.

Quote Reply
Hi!

Thanks for the advice.... it has been a HELL of a day! My db is a little over one meg, with 125 categories, and every LITTLR problem had me deleting and staring over Yeck!. I think I have it now....