Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Newbie needs HELP

Quote Reply
Newbie needs HELP
Alex has just set links SQL for me again this time on a dedicated server and I seem to be starting off fresh again.

I need a simple answer to a Template issue

How do I set links SQL to use the Snap template
I don't want to mess this up right off the bat again,

I know to use <%if template%> But I don't have a clue to where to put it.

I thought about just taking the Snap templates out of the of there folder and puting them into the Admin template area like replacing all the default templates with snap templates BUT something tells me that this is very wrong and there must be a simple way to call them some way.

When I view the default template on the site
on one page or another there is a link at the bottom that say you can use the av,yahoo,snap templates and when you click on it you are in the Av,Snap templates but HOW do I set it up so I can USE the snap template

This should be a simple question for one of you more experinced Individuals

Thanks
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie needs HELP In reply to
If you want your site to use the "snap" templates, and not have a choice of other templates, then the best thing to do is cp all the "default" templates into a folder "default" then cp the snap templates over the "default" templates.

What this will do is preserve all the original templates, in case you have a question about something in them (a good idea) and it will make sure no templates are missing from the "snap" set. The worst that will happen is a strange looking 'default' template will show up, rather than an error message.

If you want to allow DYNAMIC templates, that is what page.cgi is for, and you can check the FAQ for more on that...

but unless you are set up to do it, you should remove all references to it, and rename page.cgi to something very strage, or delete it, so people can't 'hack' your site except how you want them to see it.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie needs HELP In reply to
Thanks pugdog
That worked perfect, I will probably be asking a lot of questions a little later
Glad you are around to help the Newbies
Thanks again