Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

New Guitar Page (Is SQL the way to go?)

Quote Reply
New Guitar Page (Is SQL the way to go?)
www.12stringguitar.com and www.Twelvestringguitar.com

We have several people donating server space. We want this project to get off the ground. We are all musicians that are looking for a better search engine then we have.
(I have 900 music instrument links that I am trying to upload)

Is there some other musicians (Or programmers) that might want to help us start this web page and Music information portal?

So far, I am trying to make this a labor of love with out advertisements,
(Rather a source for the Acoustic recording community.)

We have talked about hosting original mp3 selections and user e-mail as well as home pages.

I know this is a huge goal, but after setting up two simple CGI scripts, I just can’t get enough. However I do not have the time or resources to learn scripting.
(The Internet I use costs by the minute.)

I just love all the Gossomer-Threads scripts! If any one wants to possibly help me out with an install I would be happy to promote your music or any other kind gesture.
In the future my hopes is that we will have several web programmers working on this project full time.

I have access to several SQL servers. (One cost’s $20 per month)

I was wondering, is learning how to set up an Internet search engine on anything other then SQL a bad idea?

PS, all our servers are running under the Linux Operating platform.

Quote Reply
Re: New Guitar Page (Is SQL the way to go?) In reply to
It really depends on the anticipated size of your "database". If you anticipate it to be larger than 1.0 MGs or 5,000 records with limited data, then a flat file system like Links 2.0 would serve your purposes in the short term.

If you anticipate a lot of data to store, than using a SQL (Structured Query Language) system would better serve your purposes.

BTW: In order for Links SQL to work effectively, the servers should be in the same network.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: New Guitar Page (Is SQL the way to go?) In reply to
I have said many times, that after programming with SQL, I would never go to flat files again.

The freedom from data structures, and file locking, is liberating!

If you are planning to design any major project, SQL is the way to go, since it is the 'great equalizer." The same way the web has made the type of computer you use somewhat irrelevant, so to has SQL made the format your data is in. SQL -- Structured Query Language -- is a means of querrying a database for input and out put of data. It's un-tied from the actual implementation of the data storage, so that it is portable across systems, platforms, and even across the web or lans.

that said...

Links SQL will handle more queries than the flat file links will. You'll be able to add more features, using less server resources.

The opening/closing/locking of flat files is all done by the OS. With the SQL database like MySQL, the file opening/closing/locking is handled by the database program, for each data query, so the file I/0 overhead is greatly reduced.

That said.... :)

I think with a planned out project, 900 links already, and a realistic expectation of having a few thousand -- plus the probable desire to add rich media content to your site, SQL-based programs is the way to go.

I might be willing to help you set it up (but I'm not a "designer") in exchange for a featured type link back to POSTCARDS.COM. Email me privately when you've made a decision on how you are going to go.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/