Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

MySQL error

Quote Reply
MySQL error
I am getting errors as shown below. This has started since a reboot due to a lighting storm. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix the problem. See the site and error message at http://www.paseek.com or error pasted below.

Software error:
install_driver(mysql) failed: [Wed Aug 16 10:36:52 2000] jump.cgi: [Wed Aug 16 10:36:52 2000] jump.cgi: Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so' for module DBD::mysql: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.6" not found at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/DynaLoader.pm line 169. [Wed Aug 16 10:36:52 2000] jump.cgi: [Wed Aug 16 10:36:52 2000] jump.cgi: [Wed Aug 16 10:36:52 2000] jump.cgi: [Wed Aug 16 10:36:52 2000] jump.cgi: at (eval 4) line 3 at admin/Links/DBSQL.pm line 187
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (office@paseek.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: MySQL error In reply to
It looks to me like you need to re-configure the mysql configuration file since Links SQL is unable to find the driver of your MySQL server. Only a shot in the dark though.

If you do not have a power backup supply, then most likely you will need to re-install some of your applications and server software.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I appreciate the input, but I'm not a Mysql expert. Any suggestions may have be a little more detailed. Here is the problem in a nut shell. I do have battery backup, however, the power was off long enough to drain the battery. I am col-located with a friend ISP. He shut the system down cold I believe. On restart this problem has appeared and people around the state of PA are letting me know it. :-) Any ideas or input will be greatly appreciated to get back online.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
He shut the system down cold I believe.
That was his first mistake. You should always bring down systems "gracefully" by shutting them down individually before re-booting or shutting down the system. Server Administation 101...

In Reply To:
On restart this problem has appeared and people around the state of PA are letting me know it.
Hopefully you have backups of your data. If not, that will pose a real problem in terms of data recovery. I don't have any expert advice to provide you, but you might have some success with re-installing MySQL, then re-build your tables, and then import the data from your backups.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I am not quite sure what to look for, not being an expert in using Mysql. I haven't done anything with it since Alex installed the Links SQL for me many months ago. Lighting storm has worn out my battery backup, ISP friend shutdown my system for me at 4:00 AM, however he shut it down cold. Mistake #1.

Everything re-boots and comes back online except Links SQL
and/or Mysql DBD etc stuff related to Links Sql.

This is the error:

install_driver(mysql) failed: [Fri Aug 18 09:20:59 2000] jump.cgi: [Fri
Aug 18 09:20:59 2000] jump.cgi: Can't load
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.s
o' for module DBD::mysql: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.6" not found
at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/DynaLoader.pm line 169. [Fri Aug 18 09:20:59
2000] jump.cgi: [Fri Aug 18 09:20:59 2000] jump.cgi: [Fri Aug 18 09:20:59
2000] jump.cgi: [Fri Aug 18 09:20:59 2000] jump.cgi: at (eval 4) line 3
at admin/Links/DBSQL.pm line 187

Not knowing eveything about FreeBSD administration, I do a ps aux and don't see Mysql running. I try a /usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server start

It tells me permission denied as noted below, I'm logged in as root, I have permission for everything don't I??

paseek# /usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server start
/usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server: Permission denied.

Alex thinks the problem is as follows:

This error indicates that either mysql has been re-installed or the
DBD::mysql drivers have been re-installed, and that they don't match up
(i.e. the driver is for a different version of mysql). You need to
recompile one or the other (I'd recommend the DBD::mysql driver).

I argue that I haven't installed anything. The only thing that has happened is shutting down cold and restarting the system.

For Alex to fix it will cost several hundred dollas worst case, since I don't know what I'm doing with Mysql or DBD drivers etc.

My users for paseek.com are getting on my case.
This is a free search engine for Pennsylvania,so no income is being generated at the moment to nudge me to spend money again.

Does anybody have any step-by-step suggestions on how to fix this for a Mysql, Links SQL, etc. laymen??

Any help will certainly be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Failing all else, I'll have to hire Alex if I can't fix it or consider closing down due to budget restrictions. Still mulling this over.

Thank you,

Dave