Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

MyLinks for LinksSQL

Quote Reply
MyLinks for LinksSQL
OK.. I think I am ready to distribute this mod. As some of you may know the first version of MyLinks was made for Links v2 and used cookies..

This version uses the Users database to store the information.. So now the data is saved forever in the MySQL database. It will work across computers unlike the old version using cookies. Someone can save a link and then go to the library or school and the link will still be there..

This is much better in many cases.. also.. if the computer is shared the cookie is also shared.. so now people have more personal links.

I am going to change something right now regarding the spanning pages and then set up the demo for you guys to see.. I'd also like someone to set up a better demo on.. As my 'test' site only has 6 links :)..

Anyways.. email me@ jsu7785@yahoo.com if your version of Links SQL has a fixed version of user.cgi.. (if you use my modify password mod.. MY not the Links 2 style one.. then it is probably fixed.)..

ok.. the demo will be up in a short (hopefully) while..

Jerry Su
Quote Reply
Re: MyLinks for LinksSQL In reply to
oh geez.. my mysql permission don't allow me to modify the database structure.. i need to fix that.. gooooodie

Jerry Su
Quote Reply
Can't wait to see it :)

Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
http://www.scato.com
Quote Reply
hi

jerrysu , there is one feature if you can add it to your mode,it will be really great mode..!
it is alowing the user to import his bookmarks or favorite links direct from his browser to his list in your web site,

i though before to do this you will need to make some java aplets or activex script,ect
but i found web site doing the seam thing using cgi script ,with very eazy steps,:

If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0

Click "File" on the Internet Explorer menu bar
Click "Import and Export..."
When the Import/Export Wizard window appears, click "Next"
Import/Export Selection - choose "Export Favorites"
Select the Favorites Folder you want to export
In the Export Favorites Destination, select "Export to a File or Address"
Type in the text box "C:\bookmarksplus.htm"
Click Finish
Click on the "Import" link on the BookmarksPlus left-hand navigation bar.
Select the type of import (a) "Add Imported Bookmarks to a New Folder" or (b) "Add to Bottom of your existing Bookmarks".
Type "C:\bookmarksplus.htm" in the text box
Click on "Import Now" to finish the import. Your favorites will appear in your BookmarksPlus account in a folder name "New Folder" with the date and time of your import.

the web site is :http://www.bookmarksplus.com

so,can you think about that..Cool

Quote Reply
Hi Jerry,

I can't wait for the new mod, you have been very helpfull, thank you.

Do you think you could make a script that would convert current cookie mylinks users to the sql version. I use links2.0 now and when I upgrade to SQL I would like current mylinks users to not have to redo their saved links.

Quote Reply
ummm.... that is totally unrelated..

that script would be a whole other thing.. the links in this mod is based off the links in the database..

i'm not going to make something and give it to you guys if it isn't for Links SQL..

Jerry Su
Quote Reply
That would be very easy..

my @c = map { #original mylinks decode routine } split /x/, $in->cookie('MyLinks');
$" = $LINKS{MYLINKS_DELIM};
my $sth = $db->do ("UPDATE Users SET MyLinks = '@c' WHERE ID = $$USER{ID}");

Jerry Su