Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Modify Emails not sent

Quote Reply
Modify Emails not sent
Hi,

When I update/change/modify a link its not sending the usual email to notify the link owner of the changes (the template is in place and set to send in Links.pm) - any clues as to why its not sending?

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: Modify Emails not sent In reply to
If you modify the link via the admin.cgi script and not via the modify.cgi (which sends the link to the Validate table), then no email will be sent. The better solution is to modify the links via modify.cgi that will send the link to the Validation table, so that emails will be sent to Link Owners.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Unless your modify.cgi is complete, an Admin-type edit would want to use the maintain.cgi (editor log on) rather than the standard edit-via-validate. Not all fields are accessible via modify.cgi (or should be!).

In maintain.cgi there is a short 'sendmail' line to send a notification, which can be expanded, modularized, and added as a function call to any or all of the other routines.

That would probably be a better way to go.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
So no email is sent when you modify an existing link from the admin panel (sorry, still getting used to the changes from links non-sql :)

Thanks again you guys - I'll look into maintain.cgi and try to work out how to do it - I'd like people to get a notification mail, if for no other reason than to let them know I'm still around :))

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
So no email is sent when you modify an existing link from the admin panel (sorry, still getting used to the changes from links non-sql :)
Uh...guess what...emails are NOT sent out via the admin.cgi "panel" either in Links 2.0. Don't know where you got that idea.

In Reply To:
Thanks again you guys - I'll look into maintain.cgi and try to work out how to do it - I'd like people to get a notification mail, if for no other reason than to let them know I'm still around :))
Either maintain.cgi or modify.cgi will do this.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
AnthroRules,

In Reply To:
Uh...guess what...emails are NOT sent out via the admin.cgi "panel" either in Links 2.0. Don't know where you got that idea.
Although I currently use Links 2.0 for some of my smaller sites, I'd been using Links V1 (non-sql) since early 1999 on my main site before upgrading to LSQL, and V1 did send modify emails from the admin panel - sorry should have mentioned the version number Smile

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Welp...Links 2.0 and 2.02 NON SQL does not do that!

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
That is why he said Links V 1 non-SQL.
I wonder why that feature was taken out in V 2 non-SQL.

Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
http://www.scato.com