Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Maintain.cgi and Editor.cgi

Quote Reply
Maintain.cgi and Editor.cgi
I'm interested in the use of these 2 new options in LinksSQL. Do they replace the modify with password mod?

Where can I read all about it. I've checked the faq's and done some digging in the forums and am now totally confused. I see Widgetz has one mod, but there are so many 'additions' thereafter I can't follow it.

All I want to be able to do is only allow persons who have supplied a password to modify their links.

Can I do this with the new registration system or with modifications (as in Modify mod for Links 2).

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Clint
----------------------------------
www.AffiliatesDirectory.com
Proud Supporter of Links SQL
----------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Maintain.cgi and Editor.cgi In reply to
Right now the only use for the user registration system is for Editors. You can define Editors in your admin and they have the ability to Add/Del/Mod/Validate links within a specific category.

Future releases will expand on that by allowing users to modify their own links, review resources, etc.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply

Quote:
Right now the only use for the user registration system is for Editors.

Alex, is there a way to use DBManSQL for creating a user db/login process to allow anyone to register and have limited permissions within for both links/dbman?

I really need to be able to incorporate dbman in there on the user functions to take advantage of the unique feature sets of dbman. I'd like Links to manage/maintain pages and items specific to pages and have dbman manage users.

Any feedback on how to do this?

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen

[This message has been edited by Karen (edited March 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Karen,

Can you explain in a little more detail what DBMan is going to maintain (i.e. what is a record), and what Links SQL is going to maintain (i.e. what is a link).

Then, when someone signs up, what should they be allowed to do.

I'll try and guide you from there..

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hi Alex, thanks so much for the reply!

I would like to keep links doing "links (page) management" and use dbman as a user interface. Links would work as the "site" tool while dbman works as the "people" tool.

I would like for users to be able to register, subscribe to various mail lists, add content (review restaurants, etc), add events for calendar entry, and other features such as that. Admin would of course need to approve content items before going live. Any visitor can register and any visitor can (un)subscribe to newletters and registered visitors can submit content items.

On links, I'd like to have the "control" for web page generation, banner placement, etc.

I'd really like to keep the two seperate since there is a real possibility on needing two servers in the future for efficiency. If the functions are seperate but relational to one another, it would allow for future growth.

My static website presently receives 1600+ unique visitors/day even though presently only monthly calendar events are updated and several areas have very little content.

I'd like to have searchable archives within the user areas (dbman). I am guessing I would need one table for users, one for each archive, one for each current category in dbman.

I would definitely appreciate any feedback or guidance you could give in structuring all this. Thanks again!

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen

[This message has been edited by Karen (edited March 22, 2000).]