Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Low traffic, but want to use MySQL

Quote Reply
Low traffic, but want to use MySQL
Hi

I have a suite of personal [soon to be commercial] sites where we've been using a rather old (and modified) version of GT v1.x for a links area.

Now I've only got 500+ links at present, but in order to integrate the links with the rest of my sites (using PHP and MySQL) We've written a Perl/Text -> PHP/MySQL bridge upon 'Build Pages' that works a treat, so I can use our home grown PHP/MySQL search facility and combine the results into _one_ area.

My question is simple, I have no qualms about paying $400 odd for the SQL version, but is there any point?

Are there any consideration to think of?

I'm tempted to just go for it, but I was hoping for some feedback first

L8Rs

;D
Quote Reply
Re: Low traffic, but want to use MySQL In reply to
BTW

I'm writing a database schema for version n.n of my sites and I'd like to incorporate (or at least consider) the impact of more tables to my database. I can't see a download for the sql version, so can anyone give me a text dump of the create statements?

TIA

;D
Quote Reply
Bealers,

I’m not sure I understand just what it is you want feedback on, but I can always give you some of my impressions of Links SQL.
I recently upgraded one of our customers from Links2.0 to Links SQL and after having worked with it for a couple of weeks I’m really satisfied with how things are working out. It’s not only faster and takes more links than the flat file version, it’s also got a hole bunch of professional features unique to Links SQL.

The greatest gain of going for Links SQL is of course that all information is available through SQL statements so that you can fish them out of the database with which ever method you like and use them independently from Links. Personally I use ASP to display the latest additions on the front page of a portal. I’m also working on a nifty little remote control window that you can have on your desktop and that ,through a miniature navigation system, displays links from the same database as links SQL.

I guess you can do the same things in PHP though I haven’t looked in to it to much yet.

------------------
Per S.
Quote Reply
I think you'll find that the DBSQL.pm engine module is well worth the price!

You can standardize and encapsulate all your SQL calls, and makes interacting with the perl DBI module much, much easier!

You might want to ask Alex directly about what you want to do. Send him an email, and see what he suggests.

You might find that licensing just the DBSQL.pm module for your various sites is all you'd need to make life easier. Then again, you might find that the SQL version of links offers much, much more than your current Links type programs, even with your mods.

It depends how deep into the code you want to go, and how much programming you want to do, vs just installing a few scripts and letting it run.

Right now, I could not see developing a site without MySQL or DBSQL.pm. Once you get the hang of it, it makes interacting with the database and DBI drivers simple!

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
*exactly* the kind of feedback I wanted

SOLD!

Thanks guys

Wink