Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL on a Raq 3i

Quote Reply
Links SQL on a Raq 3i
Hello,

Is anyone running links SQL on a Cobalt Raq? <http://www.cobalt.com/>

What about catalog.com for hosting? They look like they have a good deal on the Raqs.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL on a Raq 3i In reply to
There shouldn't be any problem running Links SQL on raq's. You'll need to get mysql which can be downloaded from ftp.cobaltnet.com.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Is it even possible to run links sql with mod_perl on a Raq3 ?
Quote Reply
Hello Alex,

Under raq3i, you will have trouble when the mysql data bigger then 200M!!

The rpm version from cobalt config the data path is /var/lib/mysql, but the cobalt raq3i mount the /var for just 200M.

Quote Reply
you should be able to go in and change that.

I was looking at the cobalt systems again last night -- they've come a long way.

I was initially going to use the cobalt servers, but was advised against it for what I was trying to do.

It's possible now with floor space being a premium, that I might switch to cobalt raq's for the front end, and put the SUN sparc's on the back end as the database/mail servers.

I've kept my eye on them for the past 2 years, and they do have some nice advantages. The downside is they are "modules" and you really can't do anything to them other that what they were set up to do. BUT -- they _were_ set up to do webserving!

More and more "appliance" modules will be availabe over the next few years, as most people and ISP's need web-serving, and not multi-function hardware. There are already dedicated mail servers with ram disks and other features that speed changing data and dedicated database servers set up for oracle, Novell, and other systems.

As standards start to rule, hardware that coforms to them will become simpler, with more power in the chip sets and built-in software. It will be cheaper, and better, to plug in several modules to do what you want than one all-purpose computer.

All that has to be built in for that is a network interface and default user access method. I had an ISDN modem that did that 2-3 years ago, and I saw the future Smile It's taken a bit of time for it to get there, but the raq and their ilk are the first generations.

Where is this going? I imagine you can start to build an SQL based Links site on a raq 3, but as you get larger, you'll want to move to a larger server. Of course, raq may come out with a MySQL server module, in which case, adding that in is probably the best course Smile Once a company has an idea nd momentum, the new plug ins come as market demand dictates development.

The raqs are limited in total memory and total harddrive space. They are entry-level solutions for customers, or modular (banked) solutions for ISP's.

If you read the raq product and data sheets they explain the features/benefits/limitations of the systems.

They talk about 1,000,000 page views a day and 400,000 emails. From one point of view, that's a lot. But I'm sure that's 1,000,000 static page views... and Links SQL is not static even in pre-build format!

raq's are a SERVER solution, not a 'site' solution. The more of a 'site' you are building, the less the raq's can do it properly.

It comes down to "There's no such thing as a free lunch" and "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." You get what you pay for. The wisdom in business is to know what you are paying for, and pay for what you need.

It would be nice if raq's became the plug-in modular way to increase bandwidth to a network-load-balanced site. As your hits to your site go up, you can add modules to handle them. The back end would still be a database/database-cluster, but the modules handle the "hits".

But, since that's an industry wide need, I'm sure Sun and others will have solutions for that for the larger sites, and raq will remain where they are. But, that's not a _bad_ thing! Finding a need and filling it is how you survive! Trying to do too much is how you get bought out.

Quote Reply
Hello Pugdog and others,

Thanks for your responses. I posted a message on the PHP list and received a response from someone with details on how to install MySQL, PHP and upgrade Apache to 1.3.9. The only problem is that all of this is currently unsupported by Cobalt. Their solution in the event of problems is to restore the server to it's original state with a restore CD.

There is a new product out call a network engine <http://www.networkengines.com/> that looks like it is made for what Pugdog is talking about. It has a system management bus for out of band management. These devices come either with Linux or Windows NT. There are two different models of each OS.

I like the raq because it has the basics of what I need a server to do. Granted I would need to add things like mod perl, php and mysql. But I would not necessarly be concerned about security on a server I built or back doors being installed on a server someone built for me.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Philco (edited April 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Philco (edited April 20, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Changing the data directory is straight forward, just start mysql with --data-dir=/home/mysql to store the data in /home/mysql.

I would be more leary about installing mod_perl with raq's as it involves changing a lot of the existing httpd and the conf file. This might cause strange things with any of the automated tools they provide.

Nice idea for basic sites, although nothing beats a knowledgable admin. =)

Cheers,

Alex