Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL for Japanese Language

Quote Reply
Links SQL for Japanese Language
I'm very interested in purchasing the Links SQL version but need to know if it will work for a Japanese language directory if combined with mySQL. Can someone let me know about this?
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL for Japanese Language In reply to
Yes, Links SQL will work with Japanese language, however you won't be able to use the indexed search, just the regular search.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks, that sounds great. I added a listing to your Demo Links SQL (in the admin) using Japanese characters for the category name.

That seemed to work just fine, but it looks like for the directory path to the category page, the script will replace the Japanese characters with a mixture of other characters.

Is there any way to have a field that would be used for the directory path that would be more intelligible?

In other words, the category name would still be the category name in Japanese characters, but perhaps there would be another field where you could put the name to use for the directory path for that particular category page so that the path would look like:

www.domain.com/categoryname/index.html

rather than something like:

www.domain.com/5__2_$/index.html

I would like to go ahead and purchase a license for Links SQL, but would appreciate it very much if you can let me know about this. Thanks!

--FM
Quote Reply
The online demo doesn't have the option enabled. There are two options in Links SQL:

1. You can set $LINKS{foreign_char} = 1 in Links.pm, and it will use the ID number for directory names.

2. You can add a field called 'Directory' to your category database and set $LINKS{build_directory_field} = "Directory"; Then when adding a category, just put whatever text you want here, and this will be used as the directory name.

Either way will get around the problem.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks for the information--that's great to know. I just placed the order for Links SQL through your online order form and look forward to using it for our Japanese directory.

--FM