Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL Feature Request

Quote Reply
Links SQL Feature Request
Hello Alex,

I know the SQL version of links just can out.

Would it be possible to add the ability to save and reload the links database to a delimited flat file? It would be so kewl if it did and might even save someone a-lot of time.

Thanks

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL Feature Request In reply to
It's actually probably not a bad idea. To be able to dump, and regenerate the database is a very valuable feature.

I know some places where the data changed often would down the system, dump the database, and regenerate on a regular basis to essentially compact the database, and re-write it in 'usual' order.

Also, being able to dump and rebuild would be great for database upgrades and/or conversions.

Scott
Quote Reply
Hello!

With the licsenced version of Links SQL there is a script called SQL.pl and import.pl which does this. One of it pours in the information in to SQL tables from the Fat File database in Text format. I beleive this is a file that has table seperated values and not delimited characters. I could be wrong.

So dumping or extracting in and from a text file with table seperated values is no problem. However it should conform to the database definitions.

Moreover it creates "SEVEN!" back-up file in text format during the build routine. This area of building has been SOOO well taken care of by the program that it not only is creating more than one back-up but also building up Webpages EXTREMELY FAST that the entire Architecture of this area of programming cannot be better than it conceptually is. Ofcourse minor updating of building only new pages needs to be re-worked as I have read on the Links SQL Mainpage.

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Hi,

As Rajani mentioned there is an Import.pl which is primairly used for importing your Links 2.0 data in. The SQL.pl file is used to setup your tables for the first time.

Each build, the script backs up your Links, Categories, and Subscribers. It's a little smarter in that it only keeps the last seven back ups, so you don't need to clear it out. The backups are just delimited text files of your data which you can load back into your sql server easily.

Cheers,

Alex