Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL + PHP3 Project : Lets Join!!!

Quote Reply
Links SQL + PHP3 Project : Lets Join!!!
Hello Everyone!

I am working on the project Links MySQL + PHP3. I plan to put togather many scripts of PHP3 and cgi, including on-the-fly building of many information. I would like to know if someone is interested to join and develop in this direction.

Thanks

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL + PHP3 Project : Lets Join!!! In reply to
I looked around the PHP site, and I'm still not sure what PHP can offer that can't be done in perl? I'm not even quite sure what PHP is. Is it an extended form of server-side-includes?

If so, it requires each page to be processed by the server, and the busier a site gets, the slower it will get faster than static pages.

After looking through the PHP site, I didn't see a summary statement as to what PHP is good for, and what it adds to anything -- except that it's syntax is similar to c, Java and Perl...

Quote Reply
I would like to know also how powerful PHP is really is. It seems like a new language that is yet to be discovered by programmer. I'm a bit confused on what the abilities of PHP. . . I just signed with a free ISP because my current paid ISP don't support neither mySQL or PHP and the free ISP do.

------------------
www.techdevelopers.com
ASP, HTML, CGI, Flash, and more!

HPCalc.com - English
Official HP Calculator Site
http://www.hpcalc.com/english
Quote Reply
Hi Everyone,

PHP3 is WAY better than PERL - here's why...
If you run on an Apache server, which most sites do than you have a 'persistent' connection to the database using PHP3 to access mysql databases... What this means is that your connection stays CONNECTED when a user searches AGAIN, OR another uses visits in the near future and searches..

I've tested a few programs using DBI: perl libraries and PHP3, both with mysql database and the PHP3 BLOWS away the DBI connection everytime, for speed, (and most likely performance)... there you have it...
If you REALLY want to develop a cool interface, use PHP3/mysql.

-Brett
Quote Reply
Mr. Pataki!

Just to give you an idea, You are running a cgi script for admin and I run php3 script. I consider php3 as wild and this is one of the best way you can take the advantage of Links SQL. No proffessional eyes triggered to this weaving of this thread will disagree!

For e.g. If I try to integrate a php3 script in cgi print routine which triggers printing in real time the actual hits. This Links v2.0 will not be able to do it the way Links SQL will.

PHP3 is also actually a scripting launguage embedded with in html. One can also say to kids - it is a Html-based cgi! MySQL and Links SQL offers this great possibility that to have something equivalent program on the internet - either costs too much money or is not available.

I never understood why Alex did not embedd it in the Hits area of nph-build.cgi! May be it gives a realtime publishing of hits. Thats my firts goal to see and understand if it works. But I am not a guru. I am also thinking if publishing links on-the-fly would be possible with Links SQL. This however only Alex could answer the best.

Mr. Pataki!

Did you look an php.net? Just forget your Mysql admin script and go for php3 scripts for everything.

For all of you. My ISP has excellent possibilities and they are the "BEST" on the internet as for as overall performance, management and costs are concerned. www.pair.com.

Hello Mr. Brett!
Quote:
the PHP3 BLOWS away the DBI connection everytime, for speed, (and most likely performance)... there you have it...
(Seems like you are an expert) Do you mean this is a disadvantage? If so, then the idea of links on-the-fly for e.g. may not work. But things like hits and counters could work perfet. Seems like before more serious time is invested, one should think of advantages and disadvantages so that its not a waste of time. Would be nice if you share with us a bit more of your experience. What do you think of integrating php3 in templates and also cgi scripts.

Alex may allow to quote him. Wink He said in one of his email earlier before a month that the Links SQL will work perfect with php3! True?

------------------
rajani

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited July 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

You said you are searching for a web-based admin utility. Did you find it? Or develop a script?

Also there is no special area of resources for us to submit our sites and resources in the interest of others. I would like to bring a first Links SQL resource on this, if you allow me to do so.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited July 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Well, reading the PHP manual on-line, I got an "out of dynamic memory" server error and their server seemed to crash...

Not a good sign Smile

Quote Reply
How does PHP compare with EmbPERL, which is something like what Alex was talking about -- allowing perl in html/templates.

http://perl.apache.org/...erl/Intro.pod.1.html

Quote Reply
Hello Mr. Pataki!

Their server crashes always.

In Embperl one has a big advantage of more html features which are not in php3. However to my beleif, it has a very good MySQL + Database features and works very well. Although I do not know very much and am a starter. I have read that it also works very good and has a lot of features of mod_perl. So this one can directly insert in to templates.

Php3 has now become very important with the new Zend engine. I have also little knowledge.

Mr Brett!
Quote:
both with mysql database and the PHP3 BLOWS away the DBI connection everytime, for speed, (and most likely performance)... there you have it...
If the command mysql_use_results + mysql_store_results was used, + there were many tables open burning the resource + at the end of processing they were not closed and the memory was full, this may happen, that what I understand, after having a fresh course in it.

------------------
rajani

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited July 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I have to say the install was quite cryptic, and not for the faint at heart, but from what I've tried, it's fast!

My open question is what sort of security problems are created with this? Not enough is known, I'm sure. THere seem to be more configuration options (holes) than any other program I've seen.

Plus it increased the size of my apache httpd by quite a bit.

It's going to take awhile to figure out how it all mixes in, but the admin with MySQL is pretty quick.

Quote Reply
Hello Mr. Pataki!

Did you try phpMyAdmin? I consider it the best.

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
If you want really quick performance, you should move to mod_perl. It will give you all the benefits you speak of (persistant connection, compiled scripts, embeded interpreter, etc) while still being able to have the full power of perl, as well as access to the Apache API.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

A bit off topic, but the problem with mod_perl is that it increases the size of each Apache process _significantly_ on the order of 4meg vs about 1.3 meg (if I remember)

The suggestion for busy sites was to run two versions of Apache, one mod-perl and one plain using the plain for static pages. I'm not sure what the PHP does to the memory usage, since I have no way to directly measure the running process, but I know it increased the binary size about 20%.

I realize none of this is scientific, but do you have any idea how this would relate to LinkSQL -- if a dual server would work better because of the large volume of static pages??

Quote Reply
I'll move the mod_perl discussion to a new thread..

Alex
Quote Reply
links + mysql + php3
I would really like this combination and change the two sites running with links 2.0. We built an auction software -www.freebid.de- using php3, mysql plus a little perl and java script. Its running fast ( generating 1.2 million pages per 24h on an AMD 300 linux machine ) and stable.
Helmut

Quote Reply
1.2 million page generations a day!

That's pretty cool!

Quote Reply
.. above should read - able to generate 1.2 million -
We had extensive testing before delivering.
Helmut