Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

LinkSQL updates vs patches

Quote Reply
LinkSQL updates vs patches
Alex,

I'm sure you're working on additions and upgrades to the program all the time. It's the nature of programming.

Could you set up a way that you release 'patches' rather than upgrades, so we get the benefit of incremental changes, and can see what routines you are working on so we know where we need to be most careful about our own mods.

With OOP design, integration of updates or mods should be easy and changes should be only to a few places at a time, not littered all over the program like traditional design.

Maintainability becomes the most important issue over time.
Quote Reply
Re: LinkSQL updates vs patches In reply to
ABSOLUTELY!

Hey, I was just about to start writing the same thing. You were earlier.

The best way I beleive would be if the patch area is defined by line number and we simply have to get the new codes changed.

I am having a horror geting for the third time Links SQL going. All kinds of problems one has to handle due to an entire upgrade. Ofcourse if it is necessary then it must be done, but then one knows and does not have to play with the whole database and the installation.

Thanks

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Which thing?

The keyword logger? It's trivial 5 lines maybe ... the problem is getting the database calls worked out.

I actually have it working, but no utilities, and I'd like to be able to get rid of the overhead of the work-around tables.

Quote Reply
I can provide diffs of any of the files/versions right now, but I'll look at automating it so it's posted (or available) to those who want it.

Cheers,

Alex