Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Is nph-index.cgi/nph-build.cgi in crontab smart?

Quote Reply
Is nph-index.cgi/nph-build.cgi in crontab smart?
I have read somewhere:

In Reply To:
I would recommend indexing at least on a daily basis to capture new keywords from added sites and links OR whenever you update the Links table (like after adding, deleting or modifying links).

You can execute the nph-index.cgi script (as well as other scripts, like nph-build.cgi) via Crontab (for UNIX) .
Is this a smart thing to start it everyday and when do have to use reindex (nph-index.cgi) ?
Always after you enter a new link ?
Is re-index meant for the search function to get the keywords in a table or does it have other meanings ?

I am thinking to starting nph-build and nph-index.cgi everyday (at night) in crontab, but i wanna make sure that nph-index.cgi is usefull to start it everyday.

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: Is nph-index.cgi/nph-build.cgi in crontab smart? In reply to
Yes...it is wise to keep your directory updated. However, it really depends on your server resources. In terms of keeping your search results current, it would be good to execute the nph-index.cgi at least once a day. In terms of keeping hits, ratings, and other stats current in your directory, it would be wise to execute nph-build.cgi at least a few times a day to keep the stats current.

But it all really depends on your server resources (CPU, memory, etc.).

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks AnthroRules for the reply:

In Reply To:
But it all really depends on your server resources (CPU, memory, etc.).
Well i am working on my own server, hope to have it up next week. Will be a pIII 600 with 256mb, i hope that's enough for it.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
That should be sufficient. However, make sure that you increase the timeout periods in your .config files to above 5 minutes, which is the default time period on most servers. You will need probably about 10-15 minutes to build your directory.

I am currently running into problems since my build process is killed after 5 minutes. But I am also on a semi-dedicated server. You should not have a problem on a dedicated server.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
That should be sufficient. However, make sure that you increase the timeout periods in your .config files to above 5 minutes, which is the
default time period on most servers. You will need probably about 10-15 minutes to build your directory.

I am currently running into problems since my build process is killed after 5 minutes. But I am also on a semi-dedicated server. You should not
have a problem on a dedicated server.
You know which .config file it will be on Redhat to increase the timeout periods ?

For my own record, when nph-build.cgi starts and it will take 6 minutes to build it all and
the timeout it set to 5 minutes it kills the nph-build process? Even when i start it in the admin or only when executed in crontab?

Maybe in the future i will have 4 or more sites based on sqllinks, will 256mb still be enough ? Ok the more memory the better but maybe you can tell me a limit in some way?

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.