Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Importing from DMOZ

Quote Reply
Importing from DMOZ
If you import links from DMOZ do you have to go in a hand validate them like you do in Links2? Or can you import them in and they be under the same catergory as DMOZ?

I am confussed a bit on how importing works.

Thanks for any help.

Jamie
Quote Reply
Re: Importing from DMOZ In reply to
imports go directly into the Links database.

When I imported them, the only problem I had were the dates were all 0000-00-00 and there were no contact/email addresses for all the links.

I was able to set the date in the SQL monitor using an UPDATE/SET command, but the only way to add in the missing fields is to manually go through them Smile Fortunately I have a small subset, and it was only a few hundred links. I'm using the new beta spider to fill in more, so I'm actually working my way through all my old links (since they tend to be more popular which is why they ended up on dmoz) so I'm updating the records at a rate of about 20-30 a day. I allow myself about an hour and a half to do that, and figure that in the next 5 or 6 years I should be done <G>

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited January 12, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Pugdog. How is the new beta spider working? I was looking into it, but haven't had time to use it.

Kevin
Quote Reply

Quote:
When I imported them, the only problem I had were the dates were all 0000-00-00 and there were no contact/email addresses for all the links.

The latest Parse_RDF.pl addresses this and lets you specify a default date, email and name to enter. You can get this from the download area.

Cheers,

Alex