Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Importing ODP

Quote Reply
Importing ODP
Hi,

I'll be importing a set of links from ODP to my LnksSQL database... I already have the rtf file...

Any step by step or walkthrough? I want to append the links to my actual database, not to replace them.

Thanks,
Emilio
Quote Reply
Re: Importing ODP In reply to
The ODP database is 400meg or so, I stopped it after 2 hours of processing (I got the links I wanted) then realized I could put the file into an edit-in-place editor like Joe, and cut out the block of links I wanted. The next import took a few seconds.

You just edit the top of Import.pl to point to the file and subset of links you want.

If you are trying to import a large block of links rather than some targeted groups, this might not be a reasonable way to go, but if you are trying to get multiple areas of a few dozen or even hundred links each, it beats chugging through that file each time....

Quote Reply
All you need to do is edit Parse_RDF.pl, and set the path to the content.rdf (assuming it's not in the same directory), and what subset you want to import. Then from telnet type:

perl Parse_RDF.pl

and let it go. Once it has gone by your category, you can press ctrl-c to stop it (otherwise it will go to the end of the file which can take a while).

It will always append, and not overwrite.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Do I have to create the categories before importing?

What happens if theres a related category?

Will it start appending links from my root ?

Thanks,
Emilio
Quote Reply
I ran Parse_RDF.pl and got the following:

Connect: at Parse_RDF.pl line 77.

And that's it... nothing added Frown
Quote Reply

Quote:
Do I have to create the categories before importing?

No, it will create all the categories for you.

Quote:
What happens if theres a related category?

It doesn't handle the category relations at this time.

Quote:
Will it start appending links from my root ?

Yes, although with version 1.11, you can now place the imported links into a dedicated category.

Quote:
Connect: at Parse_RDF.pl line 77.

Did you setup:

my @dbi_Links = ('DBI:mysql:Links:localhost', 'root', '', {PrintError => 0, RaiseError => 0});

properly? You need to replace Links with the name of your database, 'root' with your mysql username and '' with your mysql password.

Cheers,

Alex

Quote Reply
Thanks, problem solved..

Was using database "Links" instead of "links"