Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Import and new line in a field

Quote Reply
Import and new line in a field
Hello all,

Just testing with import and export functions with editor.cgi.

If i import from a ASCII file, and there enters (alias /n alias new line) in a field, import goes wrong because a link have to be on 1 line and i have sometime 10 line for 1 link. The data i am using is from a database in MS Access (Yup ms i know :)) with a memo field and when i use export it will not export 1 link on 1 line but sometimes 10 like said before. I saw SQLlinks is using ~~ as new line.

My ASCII file example:
1|This is a test.
And this line is the problem because i had to be on line number 1|0|Yes|0|and so on.

The ASCII file i need:
1|This is a test.~~And this line is the problem because i had to be on line number 1|0|Yes||0|and so on.

Eh basically what i wanna know is how to solve this problem with no lost of the new line (enter) ?

And is SQLlinks using ~~ as a new line ?

Regards startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: Import and new line in a field In reply to
The import/export functions of editor.cgi are a bit buggy...I believe some code fixes have been posted in this forum and at pugdog's Links SQL FAQ site, which links relevant Threads in the Support Forum.

One suggestion is to use MySQLMan, which is more stable and also contains more import/export features.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: Import and new line in a field In reply to
Thanks for the reply AnthroRules.

In Reply To:
The import/export functions of editor.cgi are a bit buggy...
Well i think my orginal source has no bugs in it because GS fixed it i quess.
Import is working ok in editor.cgi for me.

MySQLMan i have also installed and maybe i will use that 2 for import/export, but for now editor.cgi is working just fine.

The problem is in my ASCII file about the new lines.

I figure out i need some other perl script to 'translate' the new line code to <BR> and then use
the import function. This way it will display the new lines as real new lines.
Maybe you can give me a hit, i am really far away from beeing a perl expert.

Allready thanks.

Regards startpoint.