Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Featured Sites/Refer a Friend

Quote Reply
Featured Sites/Refer a Friend
Where can I find a mod that will enable featured sites similar to aeroseek.com? I would like to highlight a couple sites at the top of my links listings in each category.

Also, is there a refer a friend mod that anyone knows of? Along with "Rate It," I'd like to have an option for users to refer a link's URL toa friend of theirs.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Featured Sites/Refer a Friend In reply to
Hi,

You can create a "highlight" or "priority" field in the Links table and set the value you to TRUE for those sites you wish to highlight. This, along with some modifications to the link.html, template could give you the results you are seeking.

Quote Reply
Thanks for the response! Can you give me a more concrete idea of what sort of modifications I'd have to make to the link.html template?

Quote Reply
Say you add a TRUE/FALSE "isHighligth" field to your table:

<%ifnot isHighlight%>
(the code you use to jump to the site, as usual)
<%endif%>

<%if isHighlight%>
(the code you will use to jump to the site and somehow highlight it, using bold, or adding a gif, etc)
<%endif%>

Hope that gives the idea... :)

Emilio

Quote Reply
Ok, I understand... but I think you misunderstand what I am trying to do... I should have been clearer.

I'm not really looking to put a "featured" image next to featured sites. What I want to do is create a section under each category, such as the normal links section, where I can put "Featured Links."

So what I need to do is:

1) Create fields for each link as you say (i.e. isHiglight).
2) Modify the category template to say that if there are featured links in the category, create a category heading and list those featured links.

Exactly what I want to do is www.aeroseek.com. I am not sure if they use a script, but I would like to in order to do as they have done.

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
This requires some modification to the nph-build.cgi.

You'd need to make another routine that works the way the "related categories" works, except instead of find the related categories, it finds the featured links. Then you'd want to only put that on the first page of each category.

I'd wait a couple of weeks, and see what the next version of Links has to offer. Any code changes you make will most likely not be portable to that version, and you'd have to redo it, and your users would be subjected to another set of changes.

During an impending release, patience is the higest virtue :)

Quote Reply
Pugdog:

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any mods that do what I am attempting to do?

On another note, any idea how I can create a "Refer a Friend" dynamic? Where someone can click on "Refer a Friend" andthat link will be mailed to an inputted name and e-mail? I'm thinking this wouldn't be too difficult, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
I have done this mod with bignose bird.cgi.
1. Make a link on link.htm to the cgi.
with like << href=".../cgi-bin/bird.cgi?URL=<%URL%>&ID=<%ID>&Title=<%Title%>">Send it to a friend</a>
2. The script from birdbignose does the following:
Takes all behing the ? and makes an aray with ID=ID, URL=URL and so on; then you get it out on a new page with the form to send the data.
3. If i find it i do it on http://www.adeva.de/links.htm or /links
Robert

Quote Reply
Canucks,

This is pretty much what ekaram was describing:

http://run-down.com/...s_sql_priority.shtml

By setting a "priority" image next to the links, it is effectively the same as having a separate category heading for them.

Dan

Quote Reply
There are at least 3 recommend it type links programs here.

I posted one to the Forum about 2 months ago. There are 2 (or 3) in the FAQ area.

Take your pick.

Mine is a complete rewrite of the BNB script, and you can see it work at:

http://www.postcards.com/DP_Test/pages/

You need to select a link->detailed page to get to it. This is one of my beta sites, so not everything is guaranteed to work, or to be available.

It's template based, and uses all the Links/DBSQL.pm features. You can set how many blanks you want people to be able to refer at one time, etc. It handles any tags that are in the %GLOBALS and/or %LINKS and/or link itself.