Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

FAQ - add ins and other features listings

Quote Reply
FAQ - add ins and other features listings
I'd like to expand the modifications area of the FAQ system to include 3rd party (remotely hosted, available scripts, etc) that can add to the functionality of a Links site.

These include programs or scripts that work with Links to add functionality, or programs that build websites and can incorporate links as the back end.

Examples would be home-page or community programs that allow you to set up a dynamic front page -- with news, weather, sports, trivia, etc. The add-ins themselves -- such as the news, trivia and weather programs, and banner/advertising programs.

The advantage of doing it this way is that this is tangentially related to Links, and Alex's responsibility to support, so putting it into a separate area makes sense. The ad-ins can be rated (if Widgetz comes through <G> ) and I can even link in discussion boards for each program that warrants it.

This keeps this site "pure", and doesn't flood this forum with 3rd party questions.

Right now what comes to mind are plug-ins like:

News -- lots of services out there
Weather -- (HamWeather if you can host it is #1)
Today-in-History
Holidays/Calendar/Reminders
Home Pages (This may be being built into LinkSQL, or at least hooks are in there for joining two programs)
Auctions - (searches and listings)

I'm using this FAQ database to bang away at LinkSQL while not touching my "public" sites (this FAQ area is only linked to from here). I'll try to incorporate as many of the Add-ins into parts of this site as I can to show what is possible. (I _will_ need help with this, as I can't do it all).

I have a fair amount of server resources available for this, so it's not a project that will get squeezed.

If people are testing out mods and add-ins, this could be a place to demo them without allowing access to your own servers and the potential problems that has. If it warrants, I can even set up a separate server for this.

I've staked our business on Links software (and one or two others) and I'm willing to help develop it -- and the user community -- any way I can (within reason -- standard disclamer <G> ).

Alex has his hands full with the software, and should be free to concentrate on it.

Consider this a "developers resource" ?? where those interested in taking Links to the next step can share their experiences without them getting lost in the "HELP ME!" of basic links install and operating issues.

If you could share your ideas here in this one thread, I'll see what I can get implemented and set up. I have a deveopment server set up, that I have not been using (as I had originally planned) and could move this all over to that during the holidays if I get enough feedback.

The goals:
1) to reduce tangential traffic here
2) to provide a place for 3rd party add-ins to be discussed with out implied endorsement
3) to provide a deveopers resourc
4) to deploy developers 'beta' code for feedback on "public" system.

(I will get the FAQ updated over the holidays. I've had 3 deaths in the family in the space of 10 days, and it's been rough.)

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Re: FAQ - add ins and other features listings In reply to
i've got a News program for Links SQL running on my Linux box here.. the main thing I wanted was to have News for every category.. and an archive.. and that I did..

also.. auction.. I do have it on my Linux box too.. I am afraid to release scripts like these though.. (shopping cart one too).. cause they need alot of security.. I am planning on using it on my site one day.. when I am confident Smile

The news one is really easy.. I can give that to you guys.. except I have no clue on how to tell you guys how to setup a News database with News.def.. i'm sure i can create a script to do it though..

for your information.. "Linux Box" equals the computer next to me.. it's running red hat pro 6.1 w/ apache and it's not ONLINE.. i'll get the copy on pdamania.com sometime..

and also.. i personally don't "like" third party scripts Smile.. reason? cause their code isn't written like Alex's.. :P

sometimes i rewrite scripts that are like 20 files huge because of this.. Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
I know what you mean by rewriting the scripts. One of the reasons I went with Goassamer-Threads is the way the scrips are written -- rather than hacked.

Still, there's no way anyone can be everything to everyone -- even you Smile -- so 3rd party scripts are a fact of life Smile

Hopefully what will happen is enough people can get together to re-do a script into a Links version that is better. Advertising scripts are the #1 that come to mind. Every one out there is darn near %$$##!

The news script sounds great. The easiest way to have someone set up a database is to dump the database structure. Check out "the book" page 295 -- option -d Then, all they need to do is paste that into the SQL monitor and the table would be created. If you are using the PHPMyAdmin script, you just select the table you want (properties view) and click Dump Structure Only and it prints out the information.

Quote Reply
i made an ad script.. using DBSQL.pm too.. except I still haven't captured how to do cookies.. i don't understand how you can have 10 windows all NONSSI banners and be able to click each banner and go to the correct destination using 1 cookie..

jerry
Quote Reply
Advertising scripts... They are a pain to make. I started making on for Links 2.0 and gave up as I have bought Links SQL ( and I still haven't installed the damn thing cause I have gone through two hosts and they can't get the bloody MYSQL going on the server ).

Anyway, how far through are you for making it for the MySQL version Jerry? If you are going to make on, there is no point me doing it, I am not as good at Perl or MySQL as you are :P

Merry Christmas Eve!

Michael Bray
Quote Reply
I don't think that is all in cookies. That is what the ad-space ID is. Some services actually send the hard-link to the ad into the page, others use a temporary key that expires in 15 to 20 minutes. This is stored on the host side, and why you get a default page on clicking one of the expired banners.

Sort of like the IP checking on the ratings.

These don't use cookies at all ....

The use of cookies would be to target advertising to a person's preferences, or even keep track of which ads have been served already in the various windows as a single paramter to prevent dupes.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean by tracking them all in one cookie.

Have you seen the HTML code for ValueClick or DataCom ? ValueClick is using a Javascript to load the banners. ValueClick loads a reference to the ad, DataCom seems to actually load the ad itself (at least the banner) into the page. Datacom also uses an iframe like LinkExchange does.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/