Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Dmoz question

Quote Reply
Dmoz question
If I have the dmoz content.rdf on my server and it's already expanded to 400 + MB, can I use Parse_RDF to download only certain parts?

Also, can I rename the directory instead of Top/etc/etc to anything I like?

Thanks,

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Dmoz question In reply to
Yes, get the latest version of Parse_RDF.PL from the download area and then you can open it up and set what you want as the subset of DMoz you want to import.

You do need the full content.rdf file, but you don't need to gunzip it.

I'm not sure what you mean about renaming? You can set where the links will be imported too.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

I think he's asking can you set where you want the links to go, or do they go where they were in the ODP.

I found:

The links are imported into their respective categories, in the same sort of tree.

I even had the categories in my database, and when I did a re-import, the links were put in the old ones, but I got a whole new tree as well.

I posted a better description when it happened. I think that's what he's asking, and I don't know how to answer from my experience above Smile

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
It seems to import but gives varying numbers for the category. I just went in and changed them all in the mysql database. It starts of with 1 and works its way up to 10 for the CategoryID. Not a big problem with a couple of hundred links, but a major one if you are importing thousands.

Anyways, works well overall.

Thanks Alex.

I modded it to give the email as
webmaster@company.com for each link. That way you have an email address.

Kevin