Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Comments on New version

Quote Reply
Comments on New version
Hi all,

I have received the New version SQL Links. I didn't spend time to look at the code or any features. What I most interested is the editors modification.

I have tired editors modification in the demo site. But it seems that it don't have show anything after I logged in. It just show a screen which say something like "you have sucessfull log in". I can't see anything that look like the admin area in Open directory project.

May be this mod is only on the first stage, so that's why it don't have that much functions. I would like to suggest some features for editors modification:

(1) Allow editor to response for different categories
(2) editor can add additional categories(those they want to response) in their admin area.
(3) editor can add sub categories.
(4) whatever they want to delete or add anything, it will submit it to the central webmaster for final approval
(5) under the buttom of each category page, it will show which editor are responsible for, and a link to show their information as well.
(6) approval of editor or they can become editor instantly.

This is what I want from the editor mod. I will see the other stuffs as well. Any more suggestions?

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
Re: Comments on New version In reply to
I still haven't gotten the code, but I couldn't tell much about the registered user log in from the demo either.

Quote Reply
Yeah. I think this feature is pretty important. We can use the resources on the net and it can have a real community feel.

It's good to develop this feature in a more advanced level.

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
The next step is custom profiles, "portal" pages, and even home-pages like HomeSite.

Once you move to SQL and then to preserving state, you have pretty much unlimited options from then on as to where you go, and what you do with the program.

Quote Reply
hehe...

i went into the admin a few minutes ago and i have no clue what the editor thing does Wink

it looks to me as if it's just a database right now.. no htpasswd? or is there some web based login script just waiting to be made?

jerry
Quote Reply
It's still _VERY_ rough as I'm not sure it's the way I want to go. To have a look at where I am taking this, go to:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/links/user.cgi

and log in with user: Alex pass: Alex. You will then see a link to the editor program. From there you can add, modify or delete links (and almost done is the ability to approve links within your category).

I plan to add onto this the ability to manage categories as well. However, one thing I'm thinking is perhaps I should set up a password scheme for the admin area and just show different options whether an admin is logged in or whether an editor is logged in?

What do you think? Is it important to maintain the look of the site to the editor (as the look of the admin will be much harder to change then the site).

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex...

If you use 'alex' and 'alex' the program spits out the raw html....
Quote Reply
Man, I have to make sure I use Netscape more often. The problem were some missing print header statements. It's working now.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
I alternate Netscape and M$IE ... though I prefer Netscape, it is accepting of some things IE isn't, and IE is accepting of some things that Netscape isn't.

You can really get shocked sometimes how the 'other half' sees what you think is pretty cool <G>

Quote Reply
The main reason I use netscape is so I can see when a page will error or not show up right in it. That way they work right from the start.... (I also like it more)