Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Choose Index weight or Add_Resource!

Quote Reply
Choose Index weight or Add_Resource!
Hello Alex!

Using 1.1b1

Now I have once again a strange problem.

First it does not index because it has a ZERO in the index weight column. nph-index.cgi executes within minites doing nothing.

After adding values in there giving weights from 9 - 0 it gives a validation errors from the editor.cgi imports. FURTHER, I cannot add any recource any more as it says it has a wrong format.

Any remedy?
Quote Reply
Re: Choose Index weight or Add_Resource! In reply to
I'm not sure what you mean on this... but my indexing is working.

If you re-installed links -- are you sure you made your .def files chmod 777 ??
Quote Reply
I've never run into this, and I import my data all the time.

The last field of the LinkSQL def file is OPTIONAL, and only those records that have a weight import it. Maybe that is why you are hitting a problem?

A weight of '0' is not recorded in the def file, it's just 'nulled' out, and the last field of a record with a weight of '0' is the validation field. Maybe Links is getting confused if there is a weight there during import? I've never seen that though.

If that is the problem, why not set the weights to null during an import, and reset them to a value before you rebuild.

I've never hit this problem, but I've never looked for it either.

You've hit more problems than anyone else on the board. When anyone hits more problems/bugs than I do I start to wonder -- since they are attracted to me like a moth to a flame. I wonder if you try to take short cuts or don't re-do each step, or something is unclean about your technique. By now, you should have imports down to a science.

My other question is WHY are you still trying to import data? Once should be enough.

If you are developing an application that runs at two sites and you are trying to import data from one into the other on a regular basis-- that sounds like a CUSTOM application and you should perhaps consider paying someone to write it.

The only reason I keep importing my data is I'm running Links 2.0 until I get the SQL version running where I want it, so I have to keep updating the database. That's MY choice, not part of my application.

I'm not hitting Import problems since I've figured out how to work around them all by now.

Much of what you ask for is a custom modification, or a request for Alex to change LinkSQL to your specific needs. Case-and-point is your request of numerical ranges for categories. That may work for you, but would not work for me, and it's purely BAD programming form to do it. It would stunt the growth and expansion of the program -- pre-defined ranges went out with FORTRAN!

I really think you ask for -- and expect -- too much from this. You seem to be designing a custom application on an immense scale, and you want Alex to design it all for you for the program fee. I think you need to hire a programmer to do the work for you, and take your copy of LinkSQL to the next level. Alex has to build in the features that MOST people want, and MOST sites will use, not a single site. There is a very good engine in LinkSQL and a sharp programmer could probably do what you need for your site in a reasonable amount of man-hours and it would work the way YOU want.

I don't know why people -- especially you -- expect so much from this program and Alex. Links 2.0 required a lot of work to get it working, the only difference is there are a lot of people who published their solutions to various problems. I spent a few weeks trying to get all the mods I needed into Links 2.0 to make it work the way I needed. I didn't expect less of the SQL version -- I had to learn SQL in addition to OOP PERL. But my site will require the SQL engine to continue -- and even now is pushing the limits of flat-file management. I've almost got the SQL version ready to take over.

There's no magic here. Running a website is hard work. If you expect to make a living at it it's even harder.

I've looked at all the other programs out there, and there is no program better suited for my needs than LinkSQL. Every other program has severe problems -- or more importantly -- severe limitations.

I just really get tired of the complaints, and wish there was more constructive growth.

Quote Reply
Hello Mr. Pataki!

I think there may be the only solution to have a seperate def file for the imports, for e.g. import.def + $table = Imports & $ Exports. This may then move the field data from one table to anathor and also take care of Category names while going in and out. Then the defs will not be in conflict. May be there is anathor way.

Why do I need to import the data? I do need everyday. Simply because I am tired to convince here on the board and also Alex that the Validation pages produces tons of megabytes due to categories + other unwanted information. So long as this area is not revised, I will be never ever be able to use it. How do I validate the data? I can do all this conviniently with access OFFLINE. Further, I need to have an overview + a rebuildable possibility of the database. No one garantees that if the database is lost or corrupted, it can be rebuild without failure.

It is because of this Validate problem that I am looking for the possibilities of imports. It digs out all the square meters of information that are simply defaults and produces pages with all that information. One has to then go through all this move pages then click on the validate. Then at the end of the page, one finds the validate button, click on it and it does not validate because of some reason. This are my problem. The person has already selected a category. Then there is no need for me to have a long pop up list in front of me. Although I need to see it and control it. If I need to change, it could be done by a pop-up like now with alternate categories. But I am forced to download twice long listing for each link. Very simple. It could produce a listing only when necessary and demanded by a click from the admin.

Is this a custom requirement? If someone does not want this, they can control through Links.pm by 0 or 1. But I need to see the name and not the number!

Quote:
Much of what you ask for is a custom modification, or a request for Alex to change LinkSQL to your specific needs. Case-and-point is your request of numerical ranges for categories.

Not at all. I have an idea and also what could be custom modifications. They could be special wishes and special things that does not fall in absolutely any way to anywhere closer to what i have requested.

I however repeat that during imports if i was not able to get the date or the category id in my database, it is under no circumstances a custom modification. Such are my request. My requests are a result of problems Links SQL has at the moment. It is either not developed enough, or missing, or done in a manner that could give problems. Regardless of you or anyone agrees or not. This are the problems being presented by me and if not revised they will remain in there.

My proposal of changes of CategoriesIDs in to some numbering system is purly a suggestion that i came out with thinking about what is programmed and what and how it can be done. This has absolutely nothing to do with my real work. I simply hate to see that Kilometer long listings. If my suggestion is wrong has anyone made a suggestion? Above all, is it a custom requirement? To even say this is absolutely ridiculous.

What are the ways of build new only? Thereby meaning Building Category, entirely. So how? Where are the information stored that nph-build.cgi looks for. That gave me a clear idea that if there is a system of how the categories are numbered ( With 'db_key' = KY ) , it will only build category number ranges. My be there is anathor way. If there is and if done, I would be very happy to use it. I have no additional extra wishes or a custom demands of how a category number should look like. I DO NOT REALLY CARE. IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUILD AND I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT.

Now there is a seperate table to store Category <> SubCategoryID. it is therefore there all the connections and depths are stored. If nph-build.cgi looks there and build there, thats exactly what I was trying to trigger in the category numbers. This table is simply used to store the Hierarchy. If this is used by &get_gen_list and nph-build.cgi, that would be just the thing I am trying to request and is certainly not a custom requirement, MAN.

Alex has already said that it is on the table of list of doings, I may be wrong, and it is just the question of time to wait and see.

Quote:
I really think you ask for -- and expect -- too much from this. You seem to be designing a custom application on an immense scale, and you want Alex to design it all for you for the program fee.

I am not designing any custom application on an immense scale! I am simply trying to organise my existing database with 20,000 links with few thousand categories as a non-link v2.0 user. I have no special requirements and custom needs.

I simply want that the new.html should not produce megabytes of webpage. I simply do not want cool.html to produce megabytes. I simply I simply do not want Validate produce tons of information. I simply do not want to see those categories listings produced soo long. I simply do not want to have internal defs conflicts of imports and add_record. I would like to understand how to use Links in a good way, for e.g. dynamic or templates, or globals, etc.

Quote:
Alex has to build in the features that MOST people want, and MOST sites will use, not a single site.

I would very much like to know what are my requirements that affects ONLY ME?
The points above are all those points that will affects all the sites and will benefit everyone.

Quote:
I don't know why people -- especially you -- expect so much from this program and Alex.
My expectations are simply basic. Even then the very basic changing like what i mentioned above what I want i may not be able to do this. It triggers to the programs internals and cannot be solved in a day, even by Alex. I am not discussing about special changes in the program. I am saying it should be SO USER friendly that you buy it, insert the templates and get going. Now it has not been the case. Thats the reason why the problems comes on the surface. This are NO custom wishes. The day it is user frieldly and having a lot of general features, it will cover a large group of buyers. The program misses the features that are really necessary as I listed above.

I would like to work on the Design of my website and not spend time on learning perl. It takes a lot of time to work on the templates and much more. If everybody spends time there rather than looking and worshiping at the codes, Links SQL site listings will look much better in the future.

Is there on single site in there? You and I and also others could go online anyday. We simply are missing something. I am missing a confidence to use the script that I will be able to use it without problems.

The hard work you mentioned as a webmaster one needs to do, I consider atleast regarding myself, is and should be more on the design, promotion, etc.

Simply because if someone said it IS A CUSTOM modification of a feature, is a wrong way of looking at it. If they fall into a general feature they are general and not custom. Moreover Alex is not obliged to even satisfy MOST of the sites.

Whatever the features he has been able to cover till today, I appreciate it very very much and also beleive that in future there will be more features that makes the program run much better. It is even today, I would say is extremely good and unmatchable to find on the internet. The only thing it needs now is where it is, needs to be a bit polished or improved. This can atleast help me going online. I cannot without it.
Quote Reply
Hello Mr. Pataki!

Thanks for your response.

After every import one needs to run nph-index.cgi.

Currently all the values of index weight are stored into the last field of the defs, where you found Validation of data being inserted.

It is there you find 7, or 9 or 1, or 0 stored. This numbers will tell the nph-index.cgi the value of each field to be indexed.

My problem.

If it is empty completely i.e. '', then and only then I can import at all. If there is one number 0 - 9 then I cannot import. So it needs to be empty.

Now, to index it I needs to have a number there! So it needs to be filled with 0-9 numbers.

Adding a record, it now gives a validation errors because it has a number in there. After removing it works fine.

Funny. May be there is something wrong I am making.

This has nothing to do with 777 mod. I can be online and change this and back and will show the same results. You can also try it out yourself without changing the chmod. This mod is only giving a writing permission to the root. The problem is in using the content of a configuration file and the dababase itself.

By trying out may be you may come out with anathor result than mine! I have known your experience.

By the way you seems to be moding a lot?