Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Can anyone recommend a good wed host service where I can Install MYSQL?

Quote Reply
Can anyone recommend a good wed host service where I can Install MYSQL?
I had cihost. But they wont allow me to install MySQL.
Any good webhost services that you can recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a good wed host service where I can Install MYSQL? In reply to
Communitech.net - they have all the modules and MySQL already installed.

http://www.communitech.net

350 megs of space
100 emails
UNLIMITED Bandwidth
and more.

Great service

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a good wed host service where I can Install MYSQL? In reply to
Stay the hell away from communitech! Go for either Virtualis or Digital Nation I would say.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
Unlimited Bandwidth = dishonest Wink

I couldn't be happier with FutureQuest ( http://www.FutureQuest.net/ ).

There is much more to a good web host than just the numbers...

Dan
Quote Reply
Tera-Byte were very good to me, its just that they are a budget host and won't install more modules.

While this is OK for most sites, some of the things I need, need more then the normal server config => which is why I am moving Webhost Area to a deda (when I get more $$$).

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------

Quote Reply
Web 2010....

www.web2010.com

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
If you are looking for "higher" end, mid-range quality hosting, with guaranteed bandwith, and an uptime that is as close to
%100 as it gets, I'm working out a deal with my ISP (a well funded, well organized, growing regional hosting company) to offer dedicated, co-hosting and shared servers specifically for running MySQL/Links SQL.

As you all know, I'm extremely concerned with performance, and the #1 problem it seems is the availability of a good, solid host, that understands these needs.

After 5 years of jumping around, I found one that in 9 months has not caused me a single problem -- that is an AWESOME record. Their growing pains have _NOT_ impacted me, in any way, except I now have 3 fully redundnat backbone connections, full UPS, and much more. Most importantly -- _TRUE_ excess capacity.

In planning our growth out, I realized that it might be possible to pool resources, and offer more powerful packages -- with some basic support to get the site started -- at a lower cost to set up and to maintain -- and to grow -- than other hosts can do.

Eventually, even, a true database server to host the MySQL program, and allow the front end servers to handle more requests without adding hardware.

By pooling resources, everyone is basically responsible for their CPU and storage and the bandwidth should take care of itself, thereby cutting costs while maintaining high performance.

This isn't "cheap" but it's not meant to be. If you provide your own hardware (Unix only) prices start at $350/month for the co-host, bandwidth, and basic services. You are responsible for maintaining your own server via telnet/root access. I can provide basic set up and debugging for the site (another area of problems).

If you want to lease a machine, or need extra services, weekly or daily backup, etc, prices are figured indivudally.

It's not for everyone -- and starting out the deal Alex has is a good one, and cheaper.
I offer this as an alternative to the "unknowns" of other companies, and the low-end, free or too-cheap packages that are offered elsewhere.

If you are interested, email me -- I'm not going post more about this on the forum Smile

Don't ask for "pricing plans" or "prices", there aren't any. Tell me what you want, and I'll try to figure something out. The basic fee is about $350/month if you provide your own server, and goes up from there. An active site, leasing a server, might get away with $600-$700/month. I have no pricing for shared servers yet, but I would need at least 3 interested parties to set that up.

If it's your business, you need a dependable host that you can grow with, and that is not standing still -- and making YOU pay for their growth.

I have had less than 3 hours of network down time in 9 months, it was all scheduled, and usually completed ahead of time. Most of that was upgrading the UPS -- now, anticipated network downtime is almost 0 for co-location customers like us -- they can re-route traffic on router upgrades, switch power supplies for maintennance, etc. Their goal is really to keep the co-location customers happy, and they work hard to do it.

BTW: the prices I'm figuring are in line with the ISP's basic rates, but offer more, because as a group or cluster of hardware resources are pooled -- including floor space, bandwidth, circuits, switches, etc. and it also gives more ability to keep prices low, and avoid surprises.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited February 15, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hello,

I am not myself a provider, so I think You should try:

Pair.com

I use them now 3 years, and I have got no problems with Links 2.0 and now with Links SQL - and I have high traffic with 2.000 visitors/day...

I wish You a lot of success for Your site !

DMK-Support
Marcus Lutz

------------------
Musichits - the big music-search-engine including hit-counter and ratings:
http://www.musichits.org/
The Real Top 500 Music-sites
http://www.musichit.org/top/
Quote Reply
Try [www.hostway.com]
dedicated
400 MHz PII
6 Gig Ultra ATA
50 IP's
10 Gig
mySQL
$360 monthly

Platform: Apache on Linux.
All backup and hardware maintenance performed by Hostway Administrators.
Total root access to your own dedicated server.
Choose your own name for your dedicated server.
Easy to use account maintenance program - a powerful custom program that makes account addition/deletion/modification a snap.
24x7 system monitoring by our dedicated server system administrators.
FrontPage 98 Extensions
Full mail server installed: Unlimited email alias; Unlimited autoresponders; Unlimited mailing list.
Fully automated Majordomo Listserver

Mike
Quote Reply
NONONONONO, TheCoolHost, http://www.thecoolhost.com

------------------
- ShortKut