Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Buying SQL version but need help with mods ££££

Quote Reply
Buying SQL version but need help with mods ££££
Hi all,

I have designed a site for a friends business and now it is getting to the stage where he needs to move accross to the SQL version.

The only problem is that the normal one carries quite a few mods and i know that some of these will need to be changed. He is willing to pay someone to do this. is there anyone interested in taking up this challenge???

Please let me know here or mail me

------------------
Regards
MDJ
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Buying SQL version but need help with mods ££££ In reply to
Code:
ISLINKED MOD.
IMAGE RATE MOD.
ALT CATEGORY SELECT MOD
CATEGORY DISABLE MOD
PRIORITY AND LOGO MOD.

The first 3, I'm not sure of. The last two I think exist. The alt-category-select is being worked on (if I read that right) and I don't remember what the image-rate mod did exactly.

I'm not sure if the reciprocal link checker exists or not, if it does check the resource center.

Do you have a site to look at?

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited April 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Pugdog,

Thansk for replying.

From what i can remember the current links uses te following.

ISLINKED MOD.
IMAGE RATE MOD.
ALT CATEGORY SELECT MOD
CATEGORY DISABLE MOD
PRIORITY AND LOGO MOD.

This is ll i can think of at present but i rthink there may be a few more.

What do you recon, can these be converted to run in the SQL version???

------------------
Regards
MDJ
Quote Reply
What does he need.

If it's already been done, it shouldn't be a problem to install them. If they need to be written, that might be a problem.

Which mods is he needing?

Quote Reply
I believe IMAGE RATE MOD refers to the Amazon-style image ratings mod, which adds a graphical image (usually stars, but I used running shoes) to represent the rating for each link.

This is a pretty easy mod to carry over from Links 2, as I was able to accomplish it as one of my first 'projects' with Links SQL. I believe I posted how I did it back around February.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Guys/Gals,

Thanks for your input..
There is a site running at present which will be the same as the SQL you can see it at

http://www.isram.net

The islinked was designed by myself with some help from eliot and bobsie.

------------------
Regards
MDJ
Quote Reply
Here's the deal:

The SQL database (MySQL) does most of the work.

If islinked is an external script, it can be modified to read the link information from the database, and check it. It's actually trivial to get the link data:

select from Links where ID=nn

You can put it into a hash or reference, and then access any value you want like:

$ref->('field_name')

You can save it back by using the UPDATE command.

So, external scripts that use the Links database for checking are easy to do.

If you are trying to integrate something INTO the build of Links, such as the link numbers I just did, you have to modify the build code.

Again, this is easier than in Links 2.0, as long as you "THINK" SQL and you take the time to learn what DBSQL.pm and the various other *.pm files can do for you. Most anything you want to do is simply a method call, and a pass to the templates.

Quote Reply
You will find that if you sit and think about what you are trying to do (get the LOGIC of it) and then pick a part of the links program that already does it, you can trace the logic and create subroutines and add-ins that work just as well.

Remember.... programmers are LAZY! That's the whole reason for programs. Do it once, and it does it from then on. Once you develop a way of doing something -- REUSE IT!

Don't try to reinvent it all the time.

I have a file of commands I use for SQL work, and I load the file, cut/paste or alter them and just use them. I don't try to remember them! Takes too long! IF I ever lost the file, I'd have to reconstruct them, and I'd remember the process, but the syntax still would take time.

The point is Links sQL is MUCH easier to mod than Links 2.0. It's written better, and the SQL engine does 90% of the real "work" of dealing with the data/links/tables/etc

All you need to do is figure out what you want, and what you want it to look like. You don't really have to "do" anything else.

Quote Reply
Thanks guys.

I have never been able to understand fully perl and it's modules althoguh i wish i could.

I will take your advice and then give it a bash. No harm in trying Hey!!!!

------------------
Regards
MDJ