Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Banner Program

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Banner Program In reply to
The problem with being on a virtual host, is you don't have root acess. I can go to where my files are stored, and back them up from there.

The problem I would think is that the database files are system-dependent, though their struction and interface isn't. I would think you'd need to export or dump the database to a file, then import it into the other system or location. I wouldn't try to copy the actual files and hope they'd work on a different installation.

Quote Reply
that's cool... now make it insert into an SQL field rather than save to file Wink

Quote Reply
not a problem.. the program checks to see if the gif is a gif Wink

using the GIF89a that tags along at the beginning of all gifs.. then it uses the following foreign characters to decide on the width and the height..

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry,

If you want to make a useful utility (one I keep putting off for other projects) it would be a program to read through a links database and verify that the GIF height and width are entered correctly. The parameters would be the field name for the file, optional path (if not with the filename) and fields for height and width and size (option for bytes or K).

As more people try to add gif/jpg images to their databases, the dimensions become important for page loading.

I think you'll find it gives you a lot of reusable routines as well as a full fledged useful links utility.
Quote Reply
You have to be able to measure a JPG file, because it has to be able to be displayed.

What library are you using to read/manipulate the Graphics?

Have you looked at ImageMagick ? It does some very nice things, and I've been using it to manipulate the images on my site.

Also check out
http://www.nihongo.org/...ities/htmlthumbnail/ for a nice thumbnailer/utility program for gif/jpg files.
Quote Reply
i've already done that..

btw.. jpg's file sizes can be measured but their width/height can not.. they use a totally different compression type than .gif files..

jerry
Quote Reply
i'm not using a library for the gif thing.. it's just a simple parsing of the content of a gif file..

jerry
Quote Reply
Ah... why reinvent the wheel? Use the existing libraries, utilities and routines and not only will you save yourself a lot of time and frustration, but you can see how many of them have been tweaked and improved to deliver efficient performance.

Some are pretty basic, others are pretty slick.
Quote Reply
i didn't know they had those kinds of libraries.. i'm guessing your the type of person that knows every new script when they come out at cgi-resources? Wink

once a day visitor eh?

jerry
Quote Reply
Actually... I found most of them BEFORE I knew about cgi-resources... I found cgi-resources about the middle of my searching... but I've been using it as the first stop ever since.

It's amazing how much fun browsing the web on a 640k connection is Wink

Quote Reply
Is this page the way to get adcycle to change it's id number to load different ads in different links pages?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum9/HTML/000146.html

(I know this is out of topic here, but it's related to the first question)
Also, does anyone know of a way to do it in other cgi programs as well that use .them files to create their pages?
Quote Reply
Yes... the <%random%> feature is what you'd use to force a new ad. This is not the 'pool' number, but the 'id' number.

adclick.cgi?manager=adcycle.com&id=1111

This is also what you'd use in LinkExchange, ValueClick, and other sponsors to force different ads per page. Anywhere the advertising service lets you 'hardcode' a different value you can put the <%random%> tags.

Remember --- use a numeric <%random1%> for ads that need the _same_ number repeated in 2 or 3 locations.
> >