Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

1.1b2: Forgotten Something..

Quote Reply
1.1b2: Forgotten Something..
hehe.. i was about to install that mod i made to have different categories when i noticed you, "ALEX", had already done it.. Smile

but you don't have any info on working it.. i'm guessing i just go into links.pm add

Code:
$LINKS{build_directory_field} = "Directory";

add the field "Directory" and it will work Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Re: 1.1b2: Forgotten Something.. In reply to
Too cryptic ... explain Smile

Quote Reply
ok.. pugdog.. remember my thread about having a different directory name than the category name?

cause i had a cat called Tips & Tricks and then the DIR was always built as Tips___Tricks (3 "_"s)

anyways.. if you add a field to your category database..

Name: Directory
Type: CHAR
Size: 40
MAX: 255
No Null: No
Validation: ^[^/].+[^/]$

and then you add

Code:
$LINKS{build_directory_field} = "Directory";

to Links.pm all the links to the directory and the directory will be built based on the name in that field.. unless you use foreign characters..

jerry
Quote Reply
then of course when you add a category you can have a different directory name.

for example..

add category: Arts & Humanities

you put that in the Name field and then in Directory Field..

Arts

then the URL will be

http://www.yourname.com/Arts/

instead of

http://www.yourname.com/Arts___Humanities/

it's useful for shortening directory names or just getting rid of the _ for symbols..

jerry
Quote Reply
Hello Widgetz!

I am missing the first part of your directory alias mod. Dunno where to find it. Like I said before, YOU REALLY need a password to the forum for publishing all your modiiiies.

By the way, what is Links Announcements forum doing since many years? No posts since many years. You should get a password and put all there, simply all what you think. Widgetz forum.

But, actually I wanted to ask you about this before I get lost. Say, I have a sub-category :

A/Sub_category/Mini_Category in original.

Therefore to use your idea I need to have a field called directory. In this field I need to fill in the following:

Field

Directory
A
SC
MC

SC = Sub_category
MC = Mini_Category

Or do I have to also qwrite the whole path there like:

A
A/SC
A/SC/MC

I am missing your posts and they are interesting and clever. This directory aliasing saves space, not so much, but still intellegent. I like it-. Smile
Quote Reply
rajani..

you have to put the WHOLE path in.. like

A/SC/MC

it's a little inconveinent i guess.. but now you can do something similiar to yahoo and just use the ID.. so you have a BUNCH of categories.. and then you can have them all in like

domain.com/c/##/

it just shortens the URL soooo much..

all the code is included starting from 1.1b2.. i guess that was one of the addons..

jerry
Quote Reply
Hello Jerry!

Quote:
when i noticed you, "ALEX", had already done it.. Wink

I have had several experiences that there are so many things already done and ofcourse done sooo damn well. Really good. Thereare so many features built-in. But no where an explaination. And it grows. This dynamic thing is really deadly. As a creator, regardless of proffession, one needs to be ahead of time and as internet.com said in the news the other day, "Gone are those days of perl and telnet screens, now is the time of web interfaces!".

Jerry, thanks a lot for pouring your hints. You really are very helpful. Very kind.