Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

why was my post removed

Quote Reply
why was my post removed
All I did was ask a simple question, that of why it is that links sql can't search on multiple words?

It doesn't make sence to have a product as great as links not be able to search on multiple words.
We searched on adult products and no links came back, we searched on adult , and saw links comeback that have both adult and products in them.

Why is this, when will it be fixed, had I not found that problem I would have ordered it last night, but since it can't search on multiple words, its nothing more than my own script which has the same problem, except my script can't use the or connector and can only use and, but that's built in.

Anyway, I tried the search again, still nothing comes up for adult products, except if you type in +adult +products, which no end visitor to our site is going to do.

So, when will this be fixed, we don't want to purchase links sql for its hefty price tag if it can't search using the or connector from the selection box.

Harrison

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
Re: why was my post removed In reply to
Are you referring to the online demo (Resource Center)?? If so, I am not sure that GT has upgraded that demo to version 1.13 that has fixed both the substring and connector bugs.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Hi Harrison,

I didn't remove your post? I did remove a few posts yesterday that turned into shouting matches between three users, but I didn't see your name there?

As for your question, Eliot is right, this has been fixed in the program, but not in the demo. I've update the demo to the latest version, so please try your searching again and let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex, we tried it again and it works now, with your newer version.

Next question for you.

Do you have any provisions for importing links data into links sql, i say this because we plan to use links sql not for a specific targeted links database but rather for a general database, and we have a spider program that spiders the web for us, into a windows database, which then allows us to convert it to a links flat file database, so with links non sql, we could just append the contents to the end of the links database. Now in the links sql version how is this done to import the data from this old style links database to the new links sql database.

Also, in this senario, would we need to keep a copy of the full links non sql database and overwrite the links sql database each time we want to add more to it, or can we somehow import new data into the mysql database, or must we empty the database each time and import everything from scratch?

I hope this is clear.

Harrison

Quote Reply
There is an Import.Pl script which will take your Links 2.0 links and categories and import them.

There is also the ability to import links and categories into the program from tab delimtied text files.

The eaiest method for what you want is:

1. Copy your new data to the server.
2. Run setup.cgi to start with a clean database.
3. Run Import.pl to import your links and categories.

each time you want to do your update.

Hope this helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex,
We placed our order online with you today. Keep up the hard work, I know you've all been around a long time now, so I feel confident in ordering your product.

Harrison (Adam)