Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

what links mods fit links sql?

Quote Reply
what links mods fit links sql?
Could someone give a list of mods used by links 2.0 that can also be used by links sql with or without further modifiction. I am interested especially in the following mods I have used with links 2.0:
Yahoo subcategory@ mod
Comment or review mod
Span page mod
Rating image mod

Thanks

Long

Quote Reply
Re: what links mods fit links sql? In reply to
Yahoo @ subcategory Mod --> Works with versions up to Links SQL v.1.11

Comment or Review Mod --> There is a Review Mod written by Jerry Su that works with all versions of Links SQL with exception of the Next Generation version.

Span Page Mod --> Already built in with Links SQL via a subroutine called toolbar in the DBSQL core module for v.1.0 - v.1.13.

Rating Mod --> Works fine in Links SQL if you are using the Mod written by Jerry Su...if you are using the "Amazon Mod", then no, you would have to hack it.

Basically, most if not all modifications will work in Links SQL with a bit of hacking to use STRICT Perl codes and also SQL statements (yet, most of the statements are already packaged as subs in the DBSQL core module). Yet, it is not that easy to upgrade all modifications you have working in Links 2.0.

If my experience gives you an indication...it took me two and half months to upgrade 90% of the modifications I had working in Links 2.0 to Links SQL...I had 30 formal modifications, 10 custom modifications, and a bunch of code hacks installed in Links 2.0.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
how about these mods:
the ALTcategory mod?
mylinks mod?
translation mod?
recommend it mod?
block people from submitting the same site more than once mod?

Quote Reply
the ALTcategory mod? --> Alternative Categories are already built into the admin script. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, it is quite challenging to get it to work in the add forms. Basically, you would have to INSERT data into multiple tables via one form, which is not always easy to do.

mylinks mod? - Jerry Su already posted links to codes in the Links SQL Discussion that will allow this to work in LINKS SQL. Although I did not like the table structure of the Mod, so I wrote my own. (Have you even tried searching the LINKS SQL forums??? Sure doesn't look like it.)

translation mod? - again, mods like this would have to be re-written in strict Perl and you would have to edit any of the codes that "opens" and "writes" and "deletes" database files to use SQL statements that are already available as SUBS in the core module files (DBSQL.pm).

recommend it mod? - There are a few Modifications listed in the Links SQL section of the Resource Center, which looks like you have not taken the time to check out.

block people from submitting the same site more than once mod? - Codes have been posted in the Links SQL Discussion Forum. Again, why don't you take some time to search the LINKS SQL forums, the LINKS SQL FAQ web site (which is linked in the Resource Center), and also peruse the information linked in the Resources Center.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thankyou so much! the most important mod is ALTcat and i'm glade it's already installed.
i did not do any search i was just passing by and seen the question so i replied.
i'm still learning the basics of mysql
i like to try 1 or 2 other scripts before i buy links sql.
i know they install the softwrae for you but i like to know if the instruction to install the softwrae comes with it? just incase the server goes down or i have to move to a new one, it's good to know how to do it myself

Quote Reply
Welp...you should SEARCH the forums, because what I have written has already been posted in other Threads in the Links SQL forums...please try searching the forums!

And about "instructions"...the README files are sparse and they are written for people with some level of MySQL experience and also intermediate Perl programmers. If you are a novice, I would not rely on the README documentation...the forums may help...or trial and error experimentation. But I would not count on an in-depth instruction guide or whatever...Gossamer Threads doesn't have it for earlier versions of Links SQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee