Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

templates quesiton (pre-sales)

Quote Reply
templates quesiton (pre-sales)
After looking at some of the templates in the demo admin area, I have a question in regards to how these things are designed...I don't think I've ever seen templates loaded with "includes" as these are, but also, I've always been used to seeing Tables with variables plugged in appropriate areas. Looking at a couple in dreamweaver, I see they are all div's...and absolutely no table tags. So my question is:

"If I create my own design to my site directory in pure tables, will the templates as links sql has, work inside the tables or will this cause issues?

This is a very important question before I decide to opt in to purchase this script....
Quote Reply
Re: [joeyscc] templates quesiton (pre-sales) In reply to
The includes are done to make modifications to your template easier (editing it in one place, rather than multiple places). Some of the includes are required due to design of the program, but most of them can be merged into the including templates if you really wanted to do so.

With the luna template set, we've moved away from the 90's web design of using tables for layout and are using the proper structural tags provided with XHTML 1.0 and using CSS to layout and style the templates (tables are meant for tabular data, not for layout - it takes getting used to, but you can do some pretty cool things). The templates are as flexible as you want to make them. You can rewrite them all if you wish, or just small updates to them to suit your needs.

Quote:
"If I create my own design to my site directory in pure tables, will the templates as links sql has, work inside the tables or will this cause issues?
No, you can do this. Our Links SQL 2.x templates use tables for layout and are compatible with 3.x (though I wouldn't recommend doing so, since they're sort of out dated).

Adrian