Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

search engine friendly??

Quote Reply
search engine friendly??
I am currently interested in purchasing this software,but have one main concern. It seems as though this directory will be able to be spidered by search engines. From each category page, links to each web site are cgi? generated which makes spidering by the search engines impossible. Any way around this?? Or is this software not for me considering being able to be spidered by the search engines is important?

Thanks for the help.

Quote Reply
Re: search engine friendly?? In reply to
Normaly all pages are static and build from an admin-menu by youself or a cron-job; with the standard-tools inside links and more if you do a little addon work you could give every site inside links its own description, keywords, title and so on.
We have one links outside with more than 2000 static pages and with this we have "spammed" some spiders very hard, but cause we have so much pages and all with different content its ok for the search-engines (in opposite you duplicate one page a thousand times and spam this ...)
Robert

Quote Reply
Agreed that the pages are static. But it is the navigation the search engines are going to have problems with. For instance, a search engine finds the home page of the directory, follows a link to a specific category. On the category page there are the titles and descriptions of the web sites that make up the category. The problem lies here. The link in each title is CGI generated. When the search engine runs across that ? in the link it stops there.

My vision was to use the software in order to build link pop for my clients, but if the spider can't follow and index the links, it will not work.

I don't know much about programming but I do know a ton about the search engines. My question is there anyway the program can be manipulated to link to each indiviual site within each category, without using CGI. Why can't each title just hyperlink to the corresponding site???

Quote Reply
Yes, you can link directly to the URL instead of the "jump" CGI.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Of course, this change can't be made until you purchase Links SQL, but here is the fix if you need it.

In the link.html template, change this:

<a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>

to this:

<a class="link" href="<%URL%>"><%Title%></a>

*The red where the change is made.

Also, please note, you will NOT be able to track the number of hits a link receives because it isn't using jump.cgi.
That should do it. Smile
Let me know if you have any problems.

Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
http://www.scato.com