Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

free installation - dmoz dump included?

Quote Reply
free installation - dmoz dump included?
What is included in the free setup by gossamer linksSQL? Is it possible to setup a directory with 2-3 main categories imported from DMOZ? Is that included in the free installation? What else is included?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] free installation - dmoz dump included? In reply to
As far as I can tell, it is just the installation. DMOZ dumps are not that much more. Depending on the category you want, you could get them from $20.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] free installation - dmoz dump included? In reply to
I thought there was an arrangement to import from gossamer and they had something setup.
Quote Reply
Hi Socrates,

No import from dmoz is included with Links SQL, although we do give you access to a parser that you can run yourself. However, most users prefer to contract with a programmer to run the script as it does not have an easy to use web-interface like Links SQL.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Re: [JackOng] free installation - dmoz dump included? In reply to
Quote:
No import from dmoz is included with Links SQL, although we do give you access to a parser that you can run yourself.

What does the parser do and how does it work? Could you please explain? Is it possible to import links from a certain top category like "business" from dmoz?

thanks
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, it is possible. From shell you can run:

perl nph-import.cgi --import=RDF --source=/path/to/rdf --destination=/path/to/defs --rdf-category=Top/Business

would import the business subcategory into your top level Links SQL. You can also put it into a Links SQL subcategory as well.

Please note, this is a server intensive action, and can take quite some time to run. We don't recommend dmoz imports on virtual hosts.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.