Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

content management tool?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
content management tool?
I would like to hear from folks who use linksSQL as a content management tool. Especially for longer stories with an image upload.

I need to show my boss links where this program is used in the way we want to use it so she can rest assured that this program is worth the money (for what we want).

What we are hoping to do is have LinksSQL run our entire stories section of our web site. We have a web site for a print magazine. I would like it to be that our editors can update the site without haveing to know html, but rather cutting and pasting the text in the Links admin, upload the picture and publish the story.

Anyone else doing stuff like this? Please post urls. If you'd rather email, send an email to eleder@mac.com

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: content management tool? In reply to
http://anthrotech.com/ag/

Contains:

1) News and Announcements
2) Bibliographies
3) Articles
4) Article Reviews
5) Book and Film Reviews

and much more....the site is an online Anthropology journal....

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hey, thanks for the quick response. Can you tell me which parts are standard LinksSQL features, and which are addons?

anyone else wanna share there site?

Quote Reply
Uh....most of the interactive scripts use LINKS SQL modules and processes....

Just a matter of creating custom tables in MySQL and also maintaining referential integrity across the
tables...more of a database design issue than anything else.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Oh, I thought of another set of questions:

How server friendly is this program? I am on a shared host (futurequest.net) and I want to make sure any program we purchase will play nice with others. :D

We will begin with say 50 articles, and grow up to hundreds of articles.

Quote Reply
Elloit,

I have no idea what you meant. I am new to database stuff. Can you explain a bit more for me?

I catch on quickly.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
How server friendly is this program? I am on a shared host (futurequest.net) and I want to make sure any program we purchase will play nice with others. :D
As am I...I have three LINKS SQL systems running in my server, plus two DBMAN (flat file), and two LINKS 2.0 (shortly to be upgraded to LINKS SQL)....

LINKS SQL can run on virtual servers, however, keep in mind that more robust features like the Spider plug-in and DMOZ add-on operate more efficiently in dedicated servers.

About databases...I would suggest searching the web for some tutorials on database design...I referred to very basic elements of database design in my previous message...I really don't have the time to teach you about database design...but there are many good tutorials on the Net as well as traditional media.

Also...while LINKS SQL is highly customizable...if you want an out-of-box CMS solution...try Vignette StoryServer...
Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Elliot,

I just thought that I could create it all using linksSQL and not have to get too deep into the database design stuff.

Really, we will have one section of the site, let's call it:
Archive
Inside of that area of our site, we will have:
10 catagories
Inside those catagories, we will have:
Individual archived stories, full magazine length stories with images.

I would like to see other sites who use linksSQL in this way.

Quote Reply
Like I said...you will have to customize the tables in MySQL and also probably add plug-ins to the stock version of LINKS SQL...the beauty of LINKS SQL is that it is highly customizable and easy to customize than earlier versions of LINKS SQL.

Anyway...if you are expecting to have an out-of-box solution without having to modify the application to some degree, then I am afraid NO product will help you since ANY product you choose, you WILL have to customize the application to fit your needs.

BTW: "Links" SQL was ORIGINALLY designed to create a directory of Internet resources...Yet, it HAS been adapted to fit other types of applications, like news reports, postcards, etc.

Why don't you LOOK at the Example web sites LISTED in the Resources section of this site?!?!?!?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,

Typically you won't have to (but it doesn't hurt). To add custom columns, you can go to Database->Links->Properties->Add Column. These columns automatically become available in the admin and in your templates. So it would be very easy to add fields like 'DetailedReview', 'Image1', 'Image2', etc. Also, there is an ImageUpload plugin that allows users to upload images when adding resources. Pugdog also has put out a more advanced image manipulation plugin that will handle automatically sizing of plugins.

Hope this helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Eliot, thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. I have been looking at the sites in the RESOURCES section for a while. Please don't talk down to me.

I haven't found many sites that are listed that use linksSQL as a content management system for long form stories. That's why I am asking here on the boards.

I have also bugged alex a bunch, and I appreciate his help too. I am just trying to visualize how it will work, and I haven't seen any site yet that was built with linksSQL as a content tool that has the look and feel that we are looking for. Alex assures me that LinksSQL will do what I want, but I am still confused about it and would like to see some more real-world examples.

I am not hugely technical. But I have a site that I built from scratch that uses a lot of cgi and I think is pretty darn nice and easy to navigate. I'd like to use LinksSQL to create an easy way for our editor to upload stories to our website without having to involve me.

I am hoping other folks will list their sites here, or email me with links to their sites.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Please don't talk down to me.
I wasn't...I was simply re-stating a suggestion that I made to you in two other Threads that you've posted about this issue! Wink

In Reply To:
I have also bugged alex a bunch, and I appreciate his help too. I am just trying to visualize how it will work, and I haven't seen any site yet that was built with linksSQL as a content tool that has the look and feel that we are looking for. Alex assures me that LinksSQL will do what I want, but I am still confused about it and would like to see some more real-world examples.
Uh...I already gave you an example site that uses Links SQL to provide CONTENT (i.e., content management)....

Don't know what else to say!

Best of luck finding a solution!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you again, Eliot.

I am looking for a variety of sites that was built with linksSQL as a content tool. I am looking to see MANY sites that use it this way. I haven't responded well to the few that I have seen.

Is there anyone else that can respond to this? (In other words, thanks Eliot, I looked at your site, I'd like to see others as well)

I am looking for a dialogue with others about how they use LinksSQL as a content developement tool, specifically as a long form story backend.

Thanks again,
Evie

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is there anyone else that can respond to this? (In other words, thanks Eliot, I looked at your site, I'd like to see others as well)
(In other words, I have tried to help you and you seem to be ungrateful, best of luck finding a solution!)

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot,

I am not ungrateful. I have said thank you many times. :D

I am looking for a diversity of responses. We are considering using excusively gossamer products and I do a lot of research before I spend my very limited budget.

I have heard FABULUOS things about LinksSQL and I want to see more sites *like what I am building* before I spend the money.

I am grateful for your help, thank you.

Quote Reply
Anyone else have any sites that run linksSQL as a stories backend?

I would love to see a few more sites...

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Maybe you can try checking out:

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/
and
http://www.blackmask.com/

Hope these are more along the lines of what you're looking for.

I understand that you are not technically inclined, but with some knowledge of html or an experienced designer on staff, you should be able to get Links SQL to do exactly what you want accomplished.

Jack

Quote Reply
I was trying to do the same thing, originally on links 2 (long time ago) and now I am about to start the same task on links 2 SQl. According to what I found it is possible and convenient (though I can not offer any first hand experience). I also researched other options and I still think that links, even if not used exactly as intended, is the best option...

Quote Reply
This is great. I just wanted to let everyone know...I am still here listening.

One question: is it possible to change the "naviagtion" within links to be a right hand or left handed colum?

a list like this:

area 1
area 2
area 3
area 4

Instead of the way it is in two colums on the main body of the page? anyone done this? would this be a hack or just editing the templates?

p.s. I got approval to purchase linksSQL.... just waiting to clarify a few things. :)

Quote Reply
Yea...when you install the program (and later you can modify the program configs), you set up the number of columns you want categories to appear...this is built-in!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks everyone!

One thing I am wondering, in addition to the single colum idea...

Is it possible have the catagories always present on the left, or right...and the main body of the page simply be content?

So, you'd click on a link in a left hand navigation (which is drwand from the db) and you get a new page, with content filling the main body of the page, but still have all the categories listed in the left hand colum...

yes, no? does it make sense?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is it possible have the catagories always present on the left, or right...and the main body of the page simply be content?
YES...there is a template file called subcategory.html that allows you to edit the category listings that carries throughout all category pages.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you again, Eliot :)

Quote Reply
You're welcome...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Just put in my order. Can't wait to get started on it!

> >