Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

content management tool?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: content management tool? In reply to
Good for you...Wink

Remember if you have any problems, post them in the Links SQL Discussion forum after searching the Resources section and the forums.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Alex et al:

I have been playing with the newly installed version of linkssql and I am confused. I post this question here because the context of this thread is helpful. Please feel free to move this thread into another forum.

So: I am not sure HOW linksSQL can help me achive my goals. I drew a picture to further explain what I am trying to do. http://www.curvemag.com/linkslayout.gif

can I please get some feedback on this?

Quote Reply
1) The BODY part use the Meta Description column or create a new column within the Category table called Body...Then type in values within the BODY field for each category.

Then use the following tags in the first column of the category.html file:

Code:

<%if Body%>
<%Body%>
<%endif%>

2) Then select 1 for the build_category_columns within the Build options, so that you have ONE column of categories. Then in the second smaller column in the category.html file, add the following codes:

Code:

<%if category%>
<%category%>
<%endif%>

3) The rest is basic HTML and formatting the template files, including the category.html accordingly. For more information, look up nested tables in your HTML manuals if you have any.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eloit,

so you are saying "yes" it can do what I want?

Ok. I'll keep plodding away at it.

Quote Reply
Yes, of course...it is a matter of understanding HTML and also proper placement of tags...if you have problems designing your GUI (graphical user interface), you may want to consider contracting a web designer or installer from the GT Resources section to assist you.

It basically comes down to understanding HTML...to create the user interface...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I understand how to do nested tables and all. I just am trying to figure out how the templates work. I guess I am used to vBulletins template system, and it is alot different. I guess because it is php and not cgi. bleck I don't know.

Eloit: how are you always here?

Quote Reply
I am the web designer and GUI designer of the site. :)

I am actually pretty capable.

Just trying to figure out how this system is put together and to make it work for me. It is built on differnt premise than I am used to.

Quote Reply
Editing TEMPLATES for any script (e.g., Active Server Pages, Cold Fusion, PHP, Phython, Perl, etc...) basically consists of understanding the "tag" syntax and then putting them within the HTML template file....

If you really want an example of what you need, here it goes:

Code:

<html>
<head>
<title><%site_title%>: <%category_name%></title>
<%if meta_description%>
<meta name="Description" content="<%meta_description%>">
<%endif%>
<%if meta_name%>
<meta name="Keywords" content="<%meta_name%">
<%endif%>
</head>
<body bgcolor="ffffff">
<div align="center"><center>
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
<tr bgcolor="FFFFFF">
<td valign="top" width="50%">
MENU OPTIONS
</td>
<td valign="top" width="50%">
MORE STUFF
</td></tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="100%" colspan="2">

Code:

<div align="center"><center>
<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="80%">
<%if Body%>
<%Body%>
<%endif%>
<p>
OTHER STUFF
</td>
<td valign="top" width="20%">
<%if category%>
<%category%>
<%endif%>
<p>
Other stuff
</td></tr>
</table>
</div></center>

Code:

</td></tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="100%" colspan="2">
FOOTER STUFF
</td></tr>
</table>
</div></center>
</body>
</html>

RED text = HEADER.TXT file
BLUE text = BODY of category.html file
GREEN text = FOOTER.TXT file

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks. I am sorry, but I have more questions:

1.) Is there a list of what all the tags do somewhere?

2.) The suggestion of code that you made (thanks!) a) didn't work (I get a blank page after build) and b) confuses me further. Will all the content then only use those three templaes? Will the what's new, what's cool etc show up within these templaes? Do I simply delete the other 25 or so templates?

What I would want is one or two or three master html templates that I can edit and then edit the bits inside of it. ?

Having a list of what all the tags do would be so cool.

p.s. to the powers that be: if this convo needs to be moved to "discussions, Please feel free

Quote Reply
1) NO...not the LINKS SQL v.2.X
2) Welp, looks like you are NOT putting the CORRECT codes in the PROPER FILES! And NO, I was ONLY focusing ON the CATEGORY.HTML template file (as I stated already in my previous Threads). Really suggest that you pick up a HTML manual....
3) Uh...guess that is expecting a lot. But you can simply add in additional "included" files, like SIDEBAR.TXT using <%include sidebar.txt%>.

Anyway...best of luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eloit: you don't have to answer my questions. Do you work for gossamers? You can just ingore my posts and I will either work out the problem or not.

I understand how to build html pages. geez. I have told you that before.

I (all by myself) have designed, built and maintain an entire site with more than 300,000 page views a month

I mostly use Dreamweaver, and clean it up and edit in BBedit from there. I actively use SSI and can edit and adapt small things in CGI for our purposes. I have been editing tons of templates in vBulletin just fine. It makes sense to me. This does not make sense to me.

I put the html & codes in the files as you specified.

I am trying to understand how this tool will work for me. I paid a lot of money for a program that I am trying to figure out...asking questions.

Quote Reply
re: tags list

check out http://gossamer-threads.com/p/131101

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
> >