Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

a few prepurchase questions

Quote Reply
a few prepurchase questions
1. Can two Link SQL instances run on the same box for 1 license? ie. I have a section which is basically pure yahoo-style links. I have another section which is a content/image management area. They have different category hierarchies so it seems like it might be better to divide this up somehow. Maybe there is a better way I don't see...

2. Is the full license available for reading or can it be sent to me before I purchase? Couldn't find it. Does the license allow unlimited modification of the code?

3. For image upload: (a) Can multiple jpg files be uploaded, then later modified/deleted by the user? (b) Are image uploads validated to verify they are images. (c) Is there an option to restrict file size? (d) can images uploads be sent to a particular directory based on the user. ie. whenerver joe_11 uploads his image it goes to joe_11/uploads/ ...

To go into more detail here is what I'm trying to do:

joe_11 logs in to an admin area for his page. He uploads 3 images and descriptions. These images go into /people/joe_11/uploads/ . This directory is restricted to joe_11's login cookie. He reviews his input from his preview page. He realizes he screwed up and changes one of the images. Later, separate from Links SQL an automated script comes by which reduces the image's' filesize, creates thumbnails then moves the images into a more public-type directory /people/joe_11/images/ and /people/joe_11/images/thumbnail/. Later, when the user page is published, it will point to these directories.

(e) How close can i get to this scenario without buying alot of expensive plugins? (I'll take care of the non-Links script part I mentioned)

4. I'm assuming adding new fields to an existing table can be done through the gui? ie. (ie only image description and image exist for a 100 records, then I go back to add a "location" field)?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [estjohn] a few prepurchase questions In reply to
Hi, I am referring to your first point only.

I am not sure you can run on the same licence (I could be wrong), but I also think that you could run your needs on the same links installment. Customization is quite possible (depending on your skills), to the point where you could hide one set of categories and links from a group of users and show it to another.

Adding new columns to your database tables and using conditional tags <%if...%> can solve a lot of issues like what you are suggesting. Maybe someone has already done something similar to what you want.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] a few prepurchase questions In reply to
Thanks Ian

If anybody could shed some more light on the image upload part of my message, it would be appreciated.

thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Well I can add that an image upload mod is available through GT for the Admin side but I am unsure about the user side.

The image upload mod may be able to be modified for or can be used for the user side but I am unsure.

Maybe Alex, Jack or Aki can shed some light in it.

I will tell you that if something is not available (on hand) then it surely can be made for you. Paul, and Yogi may have some insight into the image part as well. GT of course would be able to make anything for you as well I am sure.

It is a great program and has a large amount of users that help each other here in the forum. So dive in, the water is great!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] a few prepurchase questions In reply to
Cool, thanks Tmbldr. I'll keep an eye out for more info on the images. One thing I do like is the forums and user community.
Quote Reply
It is rather good. Lots of plug-ins/globals, a very well tested, mature product and help whenever you need it.
Quote Reply
>>>2. Is the full license available for reading or can it be sent to me before I purchase? Couldn't find it. Does the license allow unlimited modification of the code? <<<

I would email jack@gossamer-threads.com about this.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

1. No, one license of Links SQL is valid for one installation only on one domain. We do offer discounts for multiple licenses, please contact info@gossamer-threads.com for more details.

2. Yes, you get full access to the source, and are free to make any modifications you like. The source is well documented and not obfuscated.

3a. Yes, you can upload multiple files.

3b. No, the system supports any type of uploads, so there is no validation. However we do have plugins designed for image manipulation. If you drop us an email with more details we can give you a quote.

3c. No, not by default.

3d. No, not by default.

3e. This is going to require a fair bit of customization. Best thing to do is send an email to info, and we can work out a quote for you.

4. Correct, this can be done from the Database->Links->Properties->Add Column function.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] a few prepurchase questions In reply to
Thanks for all the responses. I'm pretty close to buying just doing some last minute checking.... Alex, I'll follow up later if I require further customizations, thanks for your detailed rsponse.

Chris