Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Vbulletin Integration

Quote Reply
Vbulletin Integration
Hi,

I already have Vbulletin in place and was wondering how difficult it would be to integrate the user logins.

TIA,
ATKOgirl
Quote Reply
Re: [ATKOgirl] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
Hi,

We need to update the vBulletin plugin to work with 2.2, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Most of the framework is there in the existing vbulletin plugin, and if you are starting with no existing users, it's much easier.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
Alex,

can you explain how this is supposed to work? Does this system simply use the vB member database as a reference for username and password?

Does it use the vB member files instead of the LinksSQL member files?

The reason I ask is this: I am hoping to use this as well, I am looking for common "login" information, but seperate "control panels" if you will.

Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
Hi,

It works by assuming all your users are in a vb database. When you go to login, it looks up the username/password you entered in your vb database, if it's there, it will auto create your Links SQL user. Also, if you have a vb session active, then it will recognize that and not require you to log in twice.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex,

I know I had asked this before, but now I understand it :)

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.

Quote Reply
So it will essentially be transparent to a user? Will it recognize vB cookies?

Any timeframe on vB2.2 version of plugin?
Quote Reply
Re: [Doug Nelson] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
Alex

Have you managed to make any progress with this yet?

I can let you have access to my vB 2.2.1 installation if you need it.

John
Quote Reply
Re: [JohnK] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
2.2.4 is not out and vbulletin has officially confirmed they are going to have a CMS (Content Management System) plug-in soon after the release of vbulletin 3.0.
Quote Reply
Re: [SirSteve] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
Hmm...wonder if that will rival GT Community?
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
My post was supposed to say vb 2.2.4 IS OUT. Sorry.

Last edited by:

SirSteve: Mar 24, 2002, 9:45 PM
Quote Reply
vb2.2.5 is about ready to be released. When will the plug-in be updated?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Very rarely is there a problem with new versions of vBulletin (as it depends very little on vBulletin code), and we typically update it only if a customer runs into a problem.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Since March there is no effort on this plugin; seems some other people have the same problems with:

cant login ...

I havent found the bug still yet, but i find another problem, that Alex seems not to solve with the plugin.
While i only get username and mail from vb, users can change their passowrd in vb, but if they change their mailad, LSQL dont change it!

I will sleep now some hours and try it again; but it seems to me, it would be better to melt Users into user and rewrite the plugin to use only that one table or save another information in Users like the vb userid, so i could update the table everytime a user logs in.

But im not impressed to use two tables for the same data; so i will probably try the first version and use one table.

Maybe someone could make a plugin from this later ...

BTW: There are a more plugins to download that makes a lot of trouble; maybe someone could update them or write for which version(s) a plugin runs or not.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
Hi Robert,

I'm not aware of any problems with the vBulletin plugin? In the last two months, I've used it personally on 3 sites without any troubles at all.

Please understand, we don't have a copy of vBulletin to develop with. We can only update it if we have access to a clients site, and they are involved in helping us identify the problem.

If you want me to look into your problem, please send me an email with ssh/telnet info and paths and URL to where Links SQL and vBulletin are installed.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thank you, Alex, for the offer. My system runs in intranet and i cant give you access.
But maybe you would help me on understanding the plugin.
I tried to find the way the script goes:
First i call add.cgi
then the plugin code should run.

I have watched the different files to understand, what i dont find is the file that says what to do.
In the auth_vbulletin i found all the needed subs; but from where are they called?
After calling add.cgi, we test if there is any plugin for the hooks, but somewhere must stand:

run auth_init; then run sub x, run sub y.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Vbulletin Integration In reply to
This is what my log says:

GT::Plugins (14071): Plugin: pre auth_init running => Plugins::Auth_vBulletin::auth_init at
GT::Plugins (14071): Plugin: pre auth_valid_user running => Plugins::Auth_vBulletin::auth_valid_user at
GT::Plugins (14071): Plugin: pre handle_login running => Plugins::Auth_vBulletin::handle_login at
GT::Plugins (14071): Plugin: pre auth_init running => Plugins::Auth_vBulletin::auth_init at
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect at
GT::Plugins (14071): Plugin: pre auth_valid_user running => Plugins::Auth_vBulletin::auth_valid_user at

Could it be a problem that i use the same database for LSQL and vb?
I think not so.
Robert