Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Upgrade from LINKS 2.0 to LINKS SQL

Quote Reply
Upgrade from LINKS 2.0 to LINKS SQL
Ok, I was just reading about LINKS-SQL in the LINKS-SQL forums; however, I still have some questions about it.

I have hacked the heck out of LINKS 2.0 and added the following modes:
1- Foreign Language Support.
2- Alternative categories.
3- Show different Image in front of each link.
4- Show Different Image In front of each Category/Subcategory.
5- Added 6 New Fields to ADD/Modify LINKS.
6- Use Alternative Template for every category or subcategory.
7 - Order category/subcategory names based on my criteria.
8 - Yahoo style.

A- My question is, do I really need to re-customize LINKS-SQL to have the same functionality as the one I already have?

B - Also, how difficult to migrate from LINKS-2.0 to LINKS-SQL?
Will my databases still maintained, or I have to reorder them or re-create them.... hummmm > 5000 CATEGORIES?

C - One more thing, DO I need dedicated server or not as my current host gives me lots of space and unlimited bandwidth...etc. on a UNIX Apache... (shared hosting).

Thank you in advance for your help...
Mark

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade from LINKS 2.0 to LINKS SQL In reply to
No answers yet!!! anyone!!

Quote Reply
Hi,

1. Yes, foreign language support is built in.
2. Yes, a link can be placed in one or more categories automatically.
3. Yes, using the template system you can easily change what image is displayed by a link, or you can add an Image column to the Links table (all from the admin) and display that.
4. Yes, this can be done in a similiar manner as 3.
5. Yes, you can add as many custom fields as you like.
6. Yes, you can specify alternative templates for categories which get inherited by their children, or you can use custom header/footer files for each category.
7. Yes, you can set the sort order of categories in the admin.
8. Yes, you can have related categories show up a la Yahoo (is this what you mean?)

A. All the above features are built into Links SQL.

B. All your data can be imported seamlessly. From the admin just enter the path to where Links 2.0 is installed and it will import it and create any custom columns you had.

C. No, a dedicated server is not required.

Hope this helps!

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex for the answers. It sounds good, I will soon upgrade to SQL.
Final question (Just to be clear):

Could you please take a look at my category.db structure (listed below) and see if there will be any problem setting the SQL category.db to be exactly like this (with the same capabilities):

Category-ID | Category-Name | Description-or-Yahoo(SUB1) | Related-Category | Keyword | Meta-Keyword | | | Forign-Language-Title | Image-Displayed-in-front-of-this-Category.gif | Title-Of-This-Category(appears-in-index.html-of-this-category) | category-Template-number-11(category11.html) | Integer-Indicates-The-Order-Where-This-Category-Should-Be-Ordered-Within-The-Parent-Category

Thank you in advance for your help...
Regards..
Mark

Quote Reply
Hi Alex,
One question for you. I have many mods also, one of which is very important. Can I import inHITS somehow to links SQL. I really need this mod. If you are not sure what it is, it's a mod that counts inHits from links in your DB, kind of like a top site list.
Thank You,
Paul

Hot Web Hosting
Low cost web hosting:
http://www.thehotweb.net/webhosting
Quote Reply
It can be"imported" as a plugin....

Regards,

Eliot Lee