Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Speed
Hi. We are using Links 2.0 on my site at www.vbexplorer.com. It seems that the links system is running slower. We only have about 350 links so the system is not near its max from what I've read. We are on an NT/IIS server. Even though there aren't a lot of links we do get a lot of traffic and are getting close to the million page views per month mark. My partner on the site says that a lot of the slow down appears to be from all the people using the search.cgi. Figured I'd ask if the SQL version would be much faster or not. My partner, bless his brains, muttered something about writings an ISAPI dll to handle the searches but I'm too low on the programming totem pole to have figured out what that was all about and am looking at the upgrade or any potential tweaks to speed it up.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed In reply to
In Reply To:
We are on an NT/IIS server.
That is your first problem. NT/IIS does not handle Perl/CGI scripts very well...they consume tons of memory and CPU. And it takes longer to process requests than with using a UNIX based web server.

In Reply To:
Figured I'd ask if the SQL version would be much faster or not.
It would be faster since you could use DSN files, MS SQL, or My SQL, which is a lot faster than searching through flat files, although the first problem to address is using Perl/CGI with NT. A couple suggestions:

1) Hack your script to use ASP/CF rather than CGI.
2) Purchase a license of the ASP version of Links, which is linked a number of times in the Links 2.0 Discussion Forum and Links 2.0 Customization Forum. Search for Links ASP.
3) Switch to a UNIX server.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot :)... i was to SLOW, so i delete my long post !... grr... Smile

Regards startpoint.
Quote Reply
Aha! An ASP version -that's great. I didn't realize there was one. I'll take a look at it right now.

>That is your first problem. NT/IIS does not handle Perl/CGI scripts very well...they consume tons of memory and CPU. And it takes longer to process requests than with using a UNIX based web server.

That's what my partner said but none of the ASP scripts that I had seen on the net were even close to the Links 2.0 functionality. We were looking at him writing a custom script and some components but it would probably just end up at the end of a very long list of things to do -especially since the Links script works albiet slowly. Besides Links has been around a while and recreating all the functionality and dealing with the inevitable 'unintended features' is likely to be a time consuming proposition. I'll search the forum you suggested -thanks. :-)

Quote Reply
In case you cannot find the Thread I am referring to:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...=25&Old=allposts

Regards,

Eliot Lee