Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Server dedicated specs and can any help me with it

Quote Reply
Server dedicated specs and can any help me with it
Hello all,

I am still looking for a good solution for a dedicated server to get linkssql working without problems.

Maybe i config my own server and put it at the isp place. Only problem is that i don't have a lot
experience with a own server. So will update's (linux and mysql) and setting up domains/e-mail be difficult ? Can any help me get started with it ? Going to use redhat linux with mysql.

I going to make the server with this specs what can/shall i improve or is this ok for sqllinks ?

19" ATX 250W
Abit 133 Mhz mainboard
Intel Pentium III 600Mhz / 133
256 mb with ECC
Adaptec controler 29160
9,1GB Quantum Atlas V, 7200 rpm
8 mb vga diamond speedstar
48 speed A-Open CD-rom
3Com server networkcard

Allready thanks.

BTW: all have to be done within 1 1/2 week:).. Ordering hardware/setting up/transfer to isp. So i will have to be quick !

Quote Reply
Re: Server dedicated specs and can any help me with it In reply to
Um... why get the 8MB Video Card and 48X CD-Rom if its a webserver?

One more thing...

Is this the monitor? 19" ATX 250W If it is a 19 inch monitor then it is a big waste of money for a webserver :)

Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Micheal wrote:
Um... why get the 8MB Video Card and 48X CD-Rom if its a webserver?

--> What you mean?

Micheal wrote:
Is this the monitor? 19" ATX 250W If it is a 19 inch monitor then it is a big waste of money for a webserver :)

--> Nope it's the outside (don't know the word for it:) cast?) of the computer so not the monitor i don't have any:).

The most i am afreed of is the admin job, because i have not much experience so maybe someone can help me the get in the good way. The ISP will install redhat for me. Domain/e-mail admin is 1 part where i have no experiences in.

Allready thanks.

Quote Reply
Hi there,

For admin try "webadmin" i'll see if i can did out the url its excellent and i think its still free.

Regards

MDJ1
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hello mdj1,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to use telnet to do the admin because i will put the server at the i.s.p..

Will there be no problems with using webadmin, because with telnet i can't use graphics mode of
redhat linux right ?

Allready thanks.

Quote Reply
Hi there,

With webadmin,

you can set up domains through telnet dns mail etc.

And you can configure your account, logs, mail, etc etc through your browser. try a search
for web admin, im trying to find the url for you.

Regards

MDJ1
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
And you can configure your account, logs, mail, etc etc through your browser. try a search
for web admin, im trying to find the url for you.
I tried (and will try) to search on web admin, but it's hard to find it Smile with words like that.. Hope you find it soon.

Allready thanks.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
19" ATX 250W
Abit 133 Mhz mainboard
Intel Pentium III 600Mhz / 133
256 mb with ECC
Adaptec controler 29160
9,1GB Quantum Atlas V, 7200 rpm
8 mb vga diamond speedstar
48 speed A-Open CD-rom
3Com server networkcard
First, what is your budget for the server? Are you planning on a high-volume site? Do you need a server that will cover your needs for at least 6 months, a year? A server needs only the box and a keyboard, and you should be able to share a monitor at your ISP. If not, the cheapest monitor is the best. Unix runs in mostly text-mode.

If you don't know anything about Unix admin, you will _need_ someone to set you up at first. There is no way around that. Once the programs are installled, and working, you can get a few books on Unix and perl and start to learn. But, until it's set up and working, you would be hitting a wall.

Yes, once set up, you can use WebMin to access, monitor and do most things to your server through a web-based interface, without needing to know all the commands. You can use MySQLMan to administer the MySQL database, and Links SQL promises more management features that will make it easier to administer.

You still will need some help with things like adding perl modules, compiling in extra programs, etc, since the learning curve on that if you are not a programmer on some other system at least, will be very, very steep. But, the day to day management should be relatively easy once it's set up.

Don't underestimate your needs -- and if you have a dead line, you will be best off allocating money to have someone set it up for you, to get it working. Maybe your ISP will set it up?

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thanks pugdog for the reply!

In Reply To:
First, what is your budget for the server? Are you planning on a high-volume site? Do you need a server that will cover your needs for at
least 6 months, a year?
No budget, no high-volume site yet but that can come and a cover for 1 year.

In Reply To:
Don't underestimate your needs -- and if you have a dead line, you will be best off allocating money to have someone set it up for you, to get it working. Maybe your ISP will set it up?
Don't underestimate your needs --> Smile well i am scared about it that but i have to make this step !

Deadline is within 2 weeks so that's why i am asking arround if someone can help me if there will be trouble.

I will let ISP setting up redhat linux and i am going the use the dns server from the isp so the dns server will not be a problem. The rest (mysql, mod_perl and so) i have to do on my own and after all is handled i have keep it secure and update the software. So i hope some of you can or will help me at the time?

Can you tell me more about WebMin to access ? Where can i found documentation or site ?

Allready thanks Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Did you even try http://www.webmin.com? OR searching search engines, like AltaVista????

http://www.altavista.com/...g=q&Translate=on

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
http://webmin.com/webmin/

Quote Reply
Gotcha, pugdog! Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Well i am a bit of shame Smile. Well i tried www.webadmin.com before :)....

I looks like this is what i need (simple management webbased), does any off you use it ?

What about security because it's webbased, the server will at the i.s.p. (not at home so no localhost) and i don't have a static ip ?

In Reply To:
Webmin and Apache

Webmin comes with a very simple webserver called miniserv.pl that is capable of doing all that is necessary for Webmin to run. However, it is not as fast or
memory efficient as a well-developed server such as Apache. To use Apache instead of miniserv.pl, follow these steps :

1.Configure Apache to run as root, using the User root and Group root directives.

2.Set the Apache document root to the directory where you installed Webmin, using the directive DocumentRoot /usr/local/webmin-0.62.

3.Configure Apache to treat all files with the .cgi extension as CGI programs, with the AddHandle cgi-script .cgi directive.

4.Add index.cgi to the DirectoryIndex directive.

5.Webmin CGI programs have their config directory passed to them in the WEBMIN_CONFIG, WEBMIN_VAR and MINISERV_CONFIG environment variables. For
Apache to do this, you need to add the directives SetEnv WEBMIN_CONFIG /etc/webmin and SetEnv WEBMIN_VAR /var/webmin.

SetEnv MINISERV_C0NFIG /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf.

6.Configure Apache to use the Webmin users file with the directives AuthType basic, AuthUserFile /etc/webmin/miniserv.users, and require
valid-user.

You should now be able to start Apache and login to Webmin at whatever URL your Apache server is running on. Note that the Webmin Users and Webmin
Configuration modules will not work, as they configure miniserv.pl and cannot deal with Apache.
If i don't use apache will there be a problem?

Regard startpoint.

Quote Reply
What I meant was about the 8MB Vid Card and 48X CD-Rom is that they are generally not used too much on a webserver, and you could save money getting things that are slower.

Come to think about it though, I guess you can't really get 4MB or 2MB Vid cards anymore :p

Michael Bray
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Come to think about it though, I guess you can't really get 4MB or 2MB Vid cards anymore :p
Well i can get them but that's not cheap :), but thanks for your though. Maybe you can help me with setting things up when needed ?

You use webmin b.t.w.?

Quote Reply
I would hazzard to say that most people who run their own webservers use WebMin -- whether they admit it or not :)

I believe RedHat offers a customized version with their OS.

Webmin installs it's own server as "root" (similar to how you'd run apache), and it provides an interface between the web-browser user and the "root" user on the machine. Security is as good as your passwords.

The only real risk is that if someone sniffs out the port its running on, they only have to guess one ID/PW rather than break in as a "user" then su to "root".

In reality, if they could break one password, they could break 2, so that's not a real issue.

It all comes down to changing passwords, and keeping them secret.

And, as for static IP.... the problem with that is you can only administer from "home". That's cool, if you are always home. And, it does give some extra security. _BUT_, Murphy's law is that the server will need your attention when you are elsewhere... and _THAT_ is where WebMin shines....

Quote Reply
Thanks pugdog,

Well i am going to arranged the server coming week. I have to order the hardware and install it all at the i.s.p. within 1 week. So i have to put up the pressure:)...

What about the configuration any tip you would change (more memory?)?. I forgot a backup system. What shall i use for backup system, a dat recorder 4-8GB (brand HP) ?

Regards startpoint.

Quote Reply
Ask your ISP that you are using to co-locate your server if they already have a tape backup system that you can use. I would really recommend renting hardware and services in the short term before investing in tape drives and other equipment. Although you will most likely have to supply your own tapes. And you should research backup schedules. I use at least one normal backup a week and the rest of the backups are differential. Although at my old job, we did one Normal and the rest were incremental. Depending on what schedule best fits your web site, you will have to allocate tapes into your budget at the bare minimal.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply AnthroRules.

I am going the buying my own hardware no renting. But a tape backup system is indead very expensive and the isp is about 100 miles from here. So i have to ask them to exchange a tape, i hope that it will not cost much or do you have a other suggestion about making a backup without a backup system ? Smile Well i going to ask them tomorrow what there can be arranged. I can also rent a server from them but that cost about $600 a month with my specs.

Regards startpoint.

Quote Reply
The average rate for backup services is about $20 - $40 per month. This covers changing tapes and storing the tapes.

A really good source for hosting information is at the following web site:

http://www.hostglobal.com

Regards,

Eliot Lee