Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Search result ranking

Quote Reply
Search result ranking
What options does, or will, Links SQL have for ranking search results?

For example, I need it to give certain weights (priorities) to links based on whether a keyword appears in the link name, the link description, the URL, the frequency of the keyword's appearance in any of the above, and an override toggle to give "special" links priority in search results.

The effectiveness of the search rankings will be the defining point that sets me apart from my competition. (Think Google. Any engine/directory can contain a lot of data, but the search rankings are the defining issue.)
Quote Reply
Re: [schonchin] Search result ranking In reply to
Each field can have a different weight from 0 - not searched/index to whatever you want to spread them out to. Usually 1-10 gives a good range.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Search result ranking In reply to
Maybe I'm a lazy reader. Is the configurability of rankings of hits in search results mentioned in the promotional area of the web site?
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, I don't think so. You can control the weighting of any field so that a hit in the Title is worth more then a hit in Description for instance.

You can see this in the admin demo under Database->Links->Properties (look at search weights).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: Jan 4, 2002, 8:28 PM
Quote Reply
You can also search the Discussions forums for more details. Many messages on the specifics of how to do it there.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.