Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

SQL - How do it right?

Quote Reply
SQL - How do it right?
Hi all, i have the following quest to solve:

In Links01 i have my users and an additional field named "coins"
In Links02-04 i have different content and every entree has a field "from"

So a user could only enter a new entree, when he is logged in and he gets automatically a hidden field for "from" with his ID from Links01.

Now i want to show users how many different entrees they have inside and show the linked titels (and maybe some buttons for modify or delete)

To show the data i have thought about:

1. Add a new MySQL-Table, storing the ID from Links01, the DB (Links02-04), the DB-ID (the id of an entree in Links02-04) and maybe the Title and the DetailUrl.

With this i should do a small search, if a user wants to know how many entrees he has in every links02-04
But with this i must manage this table, if he deletes something from 02-04 (or if i save title and detailurl, if he changes something.)

2. I could query every time a iuser wants to know what content he has inserted all the DBs 02-04 for every entree with his id in the from-field.

Cause i have to do some more things; e.g. give virtual points for every action - 10 points for a new article * actuall Rating, i think that the second method would be less work, cause the data dayly changes in the dbs 02-04.

But im afraid, what´s happen, if 100 users wants to know which entrees they own in three databases with 10.000 entrees.

Has someone think about that in combination with links and mysql?

Robert

Quote Reply
Re: SQL - How do it right? In reply to
Robert,

I've seen your posts for the past 24 hours, and my problem is the language barrier again. I really, really, don't understand what it is you are asking.

Something in this specific message reminded me of what I did for the editor/logon mod I made. I show each logged on user a list of their links to modify. But you have confused me with the Links01, Links02, etc.

I don't know how to answer any of these questions, really.

If you need some work done, maybe contact me privately with a list of what you need/want, and take some time to explain each part. Maybe with some example of what you are trying to do. We've hit the language barrier before, and when you slow down a bit,and are not frustrated, you make it easier to understand. Maybe I can come up with the answer, or we can work out a deal for doing it.

PUGDOG®
PUGDOG® Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ