Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Pre Sales Answers

Quote Reply
Pre Sales Answers
There appear to be some common issues people face prior to purchase. I will recount my experiences for the 2 months after purchase.

The biggest question is how many links will it support. I imported over 300,000 from dmoz and the script simply laughs at that. Not a problem. I would have no reservation with over a million links.

Customization. The templates can be customized - and generally have to be - one way or another. If you want to extend functionality this is going to have to happen, generally through the plugins.

The Plugins. Now there is an interesting area. I did engage the services of Andy Newby to import the database for me and I purchased all his plugins. The importing was done quickly and efficiently. There were a few hiccups - these were resolved equally quickly and without argument, so the support for products from third party vendors is there.

The documentation. This is a very grey area for me and left me seething a bit. The explanations and instructions tend to start about half way through the story, rather than starting where it should - at the begining. Alex is as guilty of this as anyone. The answers to any question can be found in the forums though in a somewhat disjointed manner, so if you are prepared for that fact then you will have no problems. This area, the instructions, need to be cleaned up a lot. I refer to the plugins mainly. What you get as an explanation as how to configure and what you really have to do is like arseholes and elbows - a world of difference.

Hope this helps some.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Pre Sales Answers In reply to
Hi,

what areas of the documentation are missing "the begining?" That might be a good place to start filling in answers.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Pre Sales Answers In reply to
To do this, simply place either the word SUB0 or SUB1 as the Description for the category you want.

If you specify SUB0, all subcategories will be listed. If you specify SUB1 the first few subcategories will be listed up to subcat_length characters

This is the absolute total of the instructions in the readme as comes with the plugin. This is for Yahoo Subcats...

AND

<%if link_claimable%><a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/modify.cgi?do=claim;ID=<%ID%>">Claim this Link</a><%endif%>

This is basically the limit of the instructions for the link-claim.

In both instances there is nothing in relation to the extra work that has to be done to get the plugis working.

If in doubt - check the forums under plugins - and it is not only me.

If the mysql database has to be hacked into to get things working then say so - the plugin are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike as they are.
Quote Reply
Hi,

This is plugin documentation written by 3rd parties, and is not a part of Links, per se, but add ons to it.

I thought you meant the Links SQL Manual from the download area.

As for the SUB0/1 plugin, I've posted many messages, and updates to this plugin, with tweaks for style. It was a pretty good hack, but was lacking some finer features. Search for PUGDOG and SUB0 (probably) to find them.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Regarding the first one... thats pretty simple. It doesn't need to be any longer :p

In your description field, for a category, simply put either SUB0 or SUB1 ... as explained above.

If you want to set the YahooSubCats plugin to work only on top level categories, you can use the following in MySQLMonitor;

UPDATE lsql_Category SET Description = 'SUB0' WHERE FatherID = '0'

I havn't used the other plugin yet, so I'm afraid I couldn't comment on that.

BTW: Thanks for the nice comments on my plugins Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!