Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links SQL applications

Quote Reply
Links SQL applications
I was wondering if there is information out there that identifies all the possible applications for links sql. I know that the program is ideal (probably the best) for links indexing however I did find a few sites in the resources section that used it differently.

One of the possible uses I have in mind is the indexing of submitted web articles. I know that one can create an htm doc and then index it using links sql but can you use links sql to do both of these at the same time.

Any ideas / examples / how to’s appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [curman] Links SQL applications In reply to
There is no list of all possible uses, since the uses are limited only by what you want it to do!

Realistically, the program is extremely flexible and customizable. It has an attachments feature so that you could either keep the articles in the database, or as external attachments that are included in the display.

It depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into customizing it to your needs. Most of the sites that use links outside the standard link directory spent a lot of time working on the templates, and making changes to the database fields and various calling programs to make it work their way.

It's not hard, but expecting it to be everything you want it to be out of the box is somewhat unrealistic.

Look at the sites in action, see what is possible, and then plan on getting it done.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [curman] Links SQL applications In reply to
It is pretty easy to add columns to the mySQL database and then edit the html templates to customize the look and feel and have the new mySQL columns show up.

Global variables are a little harder in that they are a new skill beyond html editing, but they are very useful and not that complex.

Links SQL is set up so plug ins can easily be written to add extra functionality. The perl script can also be "hacked" or edited. This is not hard as GT has clean, well commented, modular code. So if you know perl, this would also be easy. If you don't know perl, you would have to learn perl or hire someone with the ability to code in perl.

Also, "plugins" should survive or be easily modified for any Links SQL version upgrade. Hacks and edits would be written over and have to be re-coded, so obviously plugins are preferable.

Your skill and comfort level at perl coding is something to keep in mind when reading about possible modifications in the forums.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Links SQL applications In reply to
Thank you fella's I see your points. Appreciate all the help.