Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

pre sales questions

Quote Reply
pre sales questions
  • Is there any possibility for sponsored links (in separated table on the right) like on Google? ( I didn't see something like that in on-line demo )
  • As far as I understand there are no ad banner system integrated in Links SQL, so you recommend third party products. You will install this ad banner system for free? If not I would like to know the price.
  • Can I see spider plug in on-line demo version? I would like to order this plug in together with Links SQL but I won't If I can't see how it work.
  • Can I set the search results relevancy by Title,Description,keywords order? I don't want search results relevancy to be determined by is new, is Popular etc...
  • Which is upgrade policy? Every new version is free for existing customers?
  • I didn't find list on the top option in Add Link in On-Line demo. I would like to sell first 5 placement in each category. Can I do this without major changes? I guess yes but...it's better to ask now then later
  • I am planning to host my site on Linux shared hosting at this time. Which options I must have included in hosting plan? You are mentioning mod_perl? MySQL? Any other requirement?
P.S. On the web site, your CSS make visited links dark - gray color very similar to the normal text and I had problem to find some links again. I guess that I am not the only one who experience this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: [Zoran] pre sales questions In reply to
Hi.

Quote:
Is there any possibility for sponsored links (in separated table on the right) like on Google? ( I didn't see something like that in on-line demo )

There isn't anything built in like that I'm afraid, but when I release Ace_PPC v2, that has a Google AdWords style PPC system. You can see it in action here;

http://www.findasearchengine.com/...ery=uk search engine (top right).

Its in final beta now, and depending on how many problems (if any) are found, it should hopefully be released later this week.

Quote:
As far as I understand there are no ad banner system integrated in Links SQL, so you recommend third party products. You will install this ad banner system for free? If not I would like to know the price.

I've just released a new plugin, which lets you integrate phpAdsNew into LinksSQL. Pretty similar to the AdCycle and AdvertPro Plugins which are available through Gossamer (except the phpAds one doesn't have category targetting).

Quote:
Can I see spider plug in on-line demo version? I would like to order this plug in together with Links SQL but I won't If I can't see how it work.

Gossamer's one, or mine?

Quote:
Can I set the search results relevancy by Title,Description,keywords order? I don't want search results relevancy to be determined by is new, is Popular etc...

By default, it is ordered by "score". You can change the order of it, but you would probably be better getting setup with INTERNAL INDEXING setup, so you can use "scores" for each of the fields (it will build up a score list, which is more accurate than a quick MySQL search).

Quote:
Which is upgrade policy? Every new version is free for existing customers?

As far as I know, its a free lifetime upgrade policy.

Quote:
I didn't find list on the top option in Add Link in On-Line demo. I would like to sell first 5 placement in each category. Can I do this without major changes? I guess yes but...it's better to ask now then later

Would you be looking at doing this manually? If so, its a pretty simple thing. Automating the process would make it bit more difficult.

Quote:
I am planning to host my site on Linux shared hosting at this time. Which options I must have included in hosting plan? You are mentioning mod_perl? MySQL? Any other requirement?

All you need really is Perl 5.0.4+ (I believe), a MySQL/Postgres/MSSQL database, and an appropriate amount of disk space for your site.

Hope that answers most of your questions :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] pre sales questions In reply to
In Reply To:
There isn't anything built in like that I'm afraid, but when I release Ace_PPC v2, that has a Google AdWords style PPC system. You can see it in action here;

http://www.findasearchengine.com/...ery=uk search engine (top right).

Its in final beta now, and depending on how many problems (if any) are found, it should hopefully be released later this week.[/quote]
Can I know the price? Look nice...

In Reply To:

I've just released a new plugin, which lets you integrate phpAdsNew into LinksSQL. Pretty similar to the AdCycle and AdvertPro Plugins which are available through Gossamer (except the phpAds one doesn't have category targetting).[/quote]

Can I know the price? Sound nice...Cool

In Reply To:

Gossamer's one, or mine?[/quote]

Both, if possible. Can I know the prices for both please?

In Reply To:

Would you be looking at doing this manually? If so, its a pretty simple thing. Automating the process would make it bit more difficult.[/quote]

Manually would be just fine. I don't beleive that I will have THAT much customers at the beggining. Later on , we will see....Hope that this will work with minor changes.

In Reply To:

Hope that answers most of your questions :)[/quote]

You did Cool. And I like the fast response. It's nice to know that there is very active community which will help you when problem arise. I will be back soon with more questions.

Regards, Zoran
Quote Reply
Hi. The prices are as follows;

phpAdsNew - $80 [ details ] (this link is for the old version, which hasn't been updated to reflect the new price and features, as its still in final beta, and hasn't been publically released).
Ace_PPC v2 - $250 [ details ]

However, we do have some package deals availale, which makes it cheaper for you :)

http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/90.html

This would probably be your best bet (we do offer the ULTRA Package seperatly, but its $350, instead of $300 in the above deal).

Quote:
Both, if possible. Can I know the prices for both please?

I'm not sure on the GT one, but I think it's $150. My one is quite different, but only costs $50 (http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/20.html)

Quote:
Manually would be just fine. I don't believe that I will have THAT much customers at the beggining. Later on , we will see....Hope that this will work with minor changes.

In that case, you can either use my Top_5_Link plugin, which makes it easy to do this (part of the package deal, or $25) Details: http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/22.html

It basically lets you assign "priority links" (with a sort order) for up-to 5 links per category :)

Otherwise, it can be done manually by adding a new field to the table (Database > Links > Properties > Add Field), and then you need to manually edit the links so that they have a value for the priority they are to be given (this method is explained quite well in the LinksSQL forums, so if you decide to go down that route, you best bet would be to do a search, as the other posts go into quite a bit more depth).

Quote:
You did . And I like the fast response. It's nice to know that there is very active community which will help you when problem arise. I will be back soon with more questions.

No problem :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

In Reply To:
I'm not sure on the GT one, but I think it's $150. My one is quite different, but only costs $50 (http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/20.html)[/quote]

I check your link, look nice, however it would be very nice to have a test drive. Can you arrange it?
Or 50$ does not worth the work you will have to arrange the test drive? I am programmer & web developer so I can understand that.

I would like also to check how GT plug in work, there must be a reason for difference in the price. Since this plug in is very important for me I would like someone from the stuff from GT to tell me few words about their plug in. Link will also help.

Thanks, Zoran
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
I check your link, look nice, however it would be very nice to have a test drive. Can you arrange it?
Or 50$ does not worth the work you will have to arrange the test drive? I am programmer & web developer so I can understand that.

Sure thing. Give this URL a go;

http://demo.ace-installer.com/...amp;func=spider_site

Quote:
I would like also to check how GT plug in work, there must be a reason for difference in the price. Since this plug in is very important for me I would like someone from the stuff from GT to tell me few words about their plug in. Link will also help.

I'm not definate on the features, but from what I have seen/heard of it before, it actually grabs important content from the page itself, which is then used as a "web search" ... similar to the way Google gets it new content (I could be *totally* wrong on this Crazy).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

Your plug in is just fine, and is exactly what I was looking for. Cool
But I am bit confused. I notice that there is no keywords field in your spider? That mean that links sql does not use keywords meta tag at all for searching and sorting results?
Is that mean that search relevancy results is determined and sorted on title and description only Crazy
(I am plainning to disable isNew and isPopular options...)?

There is option in:search - build_sort_order_search -

And says: Use 'score' by itself to return the best matches first) does? Can you give me more details how it works?

I don't want to bother you but it's realy important for me, since one big part of my savings will be invested in this project. I have to be sure 100% that links sql + some of your plug in is what I am looking for.

Zoran
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
But I am bit confused. I notice that there is no keywords field in your spider? That mean that links sql does not use keywords meta tag at all for searching and sorting results?

Yeah. Its not hard to put in. All you would need to do, is add a new field (say Meta_Keywords), and then when a link is spidered, it trys to grab their keywords too :) Its just a small change that would be needed in the plugin (I can help you with this, if required).

Quote:
That mean that links sql does not use keywords meta tag at all for searching and sorting results?

No. It uses a scoring system. For example, if it finds the keyword in the Title, that will appear higher than a link with the word in their description. The great thing is, that you can change the "weights" on the fields, which lets you define your own search scores :)

Quote:
I don't want to bother you but it's realy important for me, since one big part of my savings will be invested in this project. I have to be sure 100% that links sql + some of your plug in is what I am looking for.

Don't apologise ;) Its an expensive script, and a large investment... you have a right to be asking these kinda questions :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk