Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Categories - Some Static and Some Dynamic

Quote Reply
Categories - Some Static and Some Dynamic
Hi

Can you split categories into those that are built as static pages and those that are built dynamically?

The reason is that we would want to conserve space and use static pages for the most heavily viewed pages, while building the lesser-viewed pages dynamically.

I guess the same issue would apply to detail pages, as well - some static, some dynamic.

Many thanks for your help. Smile

DT

Quote Reply
Re: Categories - Some Static and Some Dynamic In reply to
Some suggestions:

1) Add a column in the Category table called something like isStatic (ENUM, 'Yes','No', Default = 'No').

2) Then add conditional statements in the category build sub in the nph-build.cgi script.

But beware, this would add a lot of CPU and processing time to your build script.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Many thanks, AnthroRules. This is definitely something to consider.

We could end up with well over 100,000 links (prob. closer to 200,000), with a ton of traffic (perhaps upwards of a million hits a day or more when it's mature).

I would seriously prefer all static, but if need be, I'd like to be able to use some dynamic.

Thanks for your help SmileSmile

DT

Quote Reply
Hi,

You can have your detailed pages dynamic, and the category pages static with no changes to the script. Just edit link.html and make the link to the detailed page go through page.cgi.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks, Alex.

I'm trying to plan the best blend of CPU usage and space.

I'm actually going to creat an online store with the script (as I did with flatfile), and I know that the detail pages will be called constantly. Hence, my concern about CPU.

Many thanks for your help SmileSmile

DT

Quote Reply
Well, One thing you can do in this case, is statically build your site with detailed pages turned on.

Then, use page.cgi to generate the category listings, but link to the _static_ detailed page. The only problem here, is you'd probably have to hard-code your navigation bar into the detailed page, so that it will call page.cgi to display the categories, rather than link to the static location.

Usually, it's the detailed pages you call dynamically, since any page would get called only infrequently, but it depends on your directory.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Plugins:http://LinkSQL.com/plugin
Quote Reply
Thanks, pugdog Smile

The directory is actually going to be a web catalog. So, I know that folks are going to be clicking the detail page a ton.

Thanks super much for your help. I'll see how things go as the store grows.

DT