Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Querie about search results

Quote Reply
Querie about search results
Hi

I have a technical question regarding Links SQL and the Links Pay Per Click scripts. Can the listings be taken/imported from another directory such as Dmoz or Overture? I want my site to pull my paid listings first and then be followed by another search engines results...

Also, how much would a 2nd licence for Links Pay Per Click be?

Thanks
Amanda
Quote Reply
Re: [AmandaD] Querie about search results In reply to
The listings in Links can quite easily be taken from DMOZ as they permit this legally. Technically, it is fairly straight forward too. If you have shell access to your server you can run an import script which will handle a DMOZ file, or you could use a 3rd party spider, which will build a database from the DMOZ directory (I do this), or you could pay a small fee to someone on here who could do it for you.

I am not sure about the price of a 2nd PPC licence, you could pm Jack Ong.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [AmandaD] Querie about search results In reply to
Hi,

There are a number of different ways of doing things. Do you want to host the entire dmoz? If so, you will need a pretty good server to handle it (we do provide hosting and servers that can do full dmoz searches quickly if you are interested).

If you are not looking to do this, you are probably better off just having your directory hold your pay per click links, and then enhance the search results with links pulled dynamically from another site like Dmoz or Google. That way you don't need the server requirements to hold a large database.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Querie about search results In reply to
Hi,

Here is a third party DMOZ parser Smile

http://www.linkssuite.com/dmoz.htm

Check it out... It has a few limitations

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: [buitek] Querie about search results In reply to
If doing large imports, this is not really a fesable method. You would be better off using nph-import.cgi Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Querie about search results In reply to
Depends on what you mean by large, I have sucessfully done over 100,000 links in 1 import with that extractor program.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Querie about search results In reply to
Serious? Is this the same program I am thinking of, where it crawls through DMOZ manually, and enters all the data into a Links 2 database format? If so, how the hell did you manage to get 100k done! I would have thought it would be much better to either pay someone to do it on a dedicated server, or do it yourself with a RDF slice! Crazy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Querie about search results In reply to
The program is quite cheap and allows me to do this as often as I want without paying someone for an RDF slice. It also can pick up on other information (such as emails) which I find handy. Also, I have tweaked the program to crawl other sites (which don't have RDF files).

RDF slicing is not an option for everyone (who does not wish to pay someone else to do it).

Yes, 100,000 links. I think Brian has done quite a few in one hit also. Admitedtly the import of the associated files it produces is a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite an automated (albeit slow) task.

Either way, whether you choose to use RDF files or go with a program such as this, or use your own spider, there are many different ways to skin a cat.

Smile

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Querie about search results In reply to
Rather you than me...Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk